Gouldians - Perth

An area to discuss new and established colour mutations.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

In my opinion Aussie yellow is a form of pied. So the one "pied" gene turns the back yellow to varying degrees and the chest white also in varying degrees. Just clarifying. This does not however apply to your bird if no Aussie yellow gene.
LML
LML
CathyCraftz

The chicks look very healthy.
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy
“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” – Albus Dumbledore
alvin

I also think it will be lilac breasted, Last year I had the father and another one in the nest. They both looked the same as they feathered, one turned out to be a white breast and the other a lilac breast. Euro yellow back has become a lot lighter over the years due to crossing them to green and blue backs, then using those same SF cocks breeding them to yellow, green and blue backs. Years ago (in Perth) we used to have pure white DF pastel blue Gouldian's, canary yellow Euro yellows. They gone. I look for them here but there are none around or you go to the guys house selling some and you find Euro yellows and Aussie yellows mixed. Soon we won`t have Pure Aussie yellows, Euro yellows and blue Gouldian's.
Tiaris

I entirely agree with what you are saying & not having a go at you at all Alvin, but I think its a bit ironic that it is getting hard to even get "pure" mutations such is the random mishmash of genes in far too many aviaries. There should be absolutely no excuse for not at least having very pure euro yellow-backs being a dominant mode and very easily out-crossed at every generation (& without any genetic tainting of non mutant birds). To me if those breeding them were doing the right thing they should be by far the most superior specimens of any Gouldian mutation, but alas I very rarely see any really good quality specimens of them.
Also interesting to note that you say the other mutations have made them paler. I haven't bred them for quite a few years, but when I did I noticed considerable variation in body colour & found they strongly passed on the degree of paleness of their parents so that trait is easily selectively enhanced one way or the other - I never combined them with other colours though. I found the dilution best measured by the heads of male sf black-headed birds which could vary from very pale slate grey to a much darker sooty charcoal. I am very surprised that so few Gouldian mutation breeders have really concentrated on them in their own right and separate from all other colours as, again to me, they have by far the best prospects for breeding really special quality specimens with a little effort using quality normals.
alvin

As you say Tiaris. We don`t out cross Euro yellow to Euro yellow. It`s breeders outcrossing to SF cocks and the rest of the other colours and over the years of this practice being done, brings us to having Euro yellows with pale backs with some green/black markings and some blue near the tail. A lot of this is brought about by Blue Gouldian breeders (including myself), but I have stayed far away from breeding the aussie yellow with the blue, I just have Euro yellow splits, blues and blue splits. I have started this year to put Euro yellow to Euro yellow, Hopefully I can work towards a darker yellow back colour.
Tiaris

I think the key to getting a darker yellow back in DF yellow cock & SF hen progeny would be to use the darker green SF cocks mated to only the stronger coloured SF hens.
alvin

Tiaras have you proved that pairing the dark green SF to a yellow hen will produce deeper yellow birds. I haven't bred one DF cock from this combination before, mainly green and yellow hens and green SF cocks. I have a few dark green SF, BH,PSW which I can put with a yellow hen next season. Was going put one of them with a BB/BH/WB
Craig52

Alvin, what is a Euro yellow split ?
Blue Cuban

Craig52 wrote: 30 Apr 2018, 21:43 Alvin, what is a Euro yellow split ?
Typo.
Think he accidentally left blue off the end, he knows there’s no such thing as a Euro yellow split.
Hobby finch Keeper
alvin

That's right split blue

Return to “Mutation Finches”