Identifying Zebra Finch Mutations

An area to discuss new and established colour mutations.
CathyCraftz

If you need help identifying Zebra Finch mutations, please read this article. I will make one about Gouldian Finches soon. Please note that all Zebra Finches are different and this article may not cover their mutation. All zebras have a red beak for males and an orange beak for females and tear streaks under each eye, except for albinos.
Normal Greys
Normal grey zebras are most commonly found in the wild and they have dark grey feathers covering most of their body. They have light yellowish feathers under their tails and to the chest. They also have black tails with white stripes on them. Males have an orange cheek patch on each side of the head and females are just plain grey almost all over. Females may sometimes have male stripes on their chest as well.
Fawns
Fawn Zebra Finches are very similar to normal greys, but instead of the dark grey they have a dark brownish colour.
Albinos
Albino zebras are plain white all over and do not have any tear markings or tail markings. The only way to identify their sex is by the colour of their beak.
Grizzles
Zebra Finches with the grizzle mutation may have light grey feathers. They must have white patches all over their body.
Pieds
Pied zebras are mostly white with splashes of normal grey colour. If you have a zebra that has white feathers on some parts of their body ever since you have bought them, it’s a pied zebra.
Masked Whites
Masked white zebras are like the normal grey except that the grey parts are white.
Chestnut Flanked Whites
Chestnut flanked white zebras are similar to the masked white kind but the males’ cheek patch is a cream colour.
Silver
Silver zebra Finches are a light silver shade. Males’ cheek patches are very light silver or white in colour. Their tear markings are the same shade.

Hopefully after reading this you have identified the mutation of your zebra/s. If you still can’t identify them, send a photo to me as a comment. Make sure that the photo is as clear as you can get it and that the lighting is sufficient enough to see the true colour of the feathers. Remember that I have not covered some very rare mutations as there are not much information on them.
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy
“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” – Albus Dumbledore
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

http://zebracrazy.byethost13.com/AllMut.htm?i=1
The above site has pictorial representations of a very large selection of Zebra mutations. So is easier to follow than a verbal description I find.
LML
LML
Username1

I think "Masked" white is supposed to be Marked white.

There's quite a few mutations missing as well. Black fronted, black bodied, black faced, yellow billed, charcoal, Isabel, red, slate/recessive dilute, george, cream, alumina, carabel, etc.

Also, the Albino description is more likely to be plain "White", as most (if not all) have black eyes (not red), and are therefore not actually Albino.

This site is pretty good: http://www.seqzfs.org/zebravarieties.htm
CathyCraftz

I only did the most common and well known mutations, or at least the ones I know of anyway. I thought all zebra finches' eyes are supposed to be brown, my little girls' are.
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy
“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” – Albus Dumbledore
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Albinos in all birds and animals have red or pink eyes. Your little girls are fawn so do not.
LML
LML
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Most supposedly white zebs are unmarked full pieds... 😉
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
quaddieking

hi
i will send you some pictures, if you can identify them thks Dave.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Dave. Just put them up on the Forum in a new post, under a title similar to this. Then you will get input from more experienced Zeb breeders and less experienced alike. It helps us all to learn that way.
LML
LML

Return to “Mutation Finches”