Pink Painted Mutation

An area to discuss new and established colour mutations.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The patience is paying off. Thanks for keeping us updated.
LML
LML
Craig52

garymc wrote:After 12 months or so of outcrossing the coloured birds to a number of bloodlines of normals (including some outstanding Aussie finch breeder stock), I have finally bought a pair of the "lot less related" birds together. In the first clutch these were two of the young produced
DSCF8347 (Small).JPG
DSCF8346 (Small).JPG
What is different is that all previous fawns bred (whether they survived or not) were dark chested regardless of sex. One of the two shown in the pictures is extremely light all over - time will tell I guess
Going to post pics soon to show light fronted young and dark fronted bred from same birds before you got them from me,the light fronted are always hens and changes to black when they moult out. The reason you are breeding so hens is you are putting fantastic looking cocks to your splits for colour to be put in your young,which works in reverse to breed more hens.Refer to Graham bulls artical on breeding painteds for full red fronted and Mike Fidlers article on the breeding of Peters Twinspots to breed more hens. Hope this helps Cheers Craig
To bettaman, that mutation is the same as Garys,It still holds the black on the belly,so it can't be a fawn
Tiaris

The problem with using the Peters Twinspot extra young hens theory is the intentional use of the worst coloured cocks to do so is not likely to help strengthen or improve the appearance of the mutation at all. I think Gary is breeding a good proportion of hens anyway so no need to take any backward steps to go forward.
Craig52

These are photo's of some of the birds before GMc got them, notice they carry the black through the front, therfore they are not fawns.The cock yellow with the young were very sick birds and both died leaving me with a heap of splits.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Craig52 on 13 Feb 2012, 20:18, edited 1 time in total.
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That's a very odd star finch :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
Tiaris

Re: red-fronted Star. Do you think this is a mutation? I have some with that much red on them & they appear to me to be a natural variable trait which is best expressed when selectively enhancing red area and intensity on the head. The green of that one is very different to mine though as mine are on Fawn & Yellow-bodied (cinnamon fawn) birds and the green of the bird in the photo is especially dark & bluish.
garymc

To date my problem has been that I have bred probably 4 to 5hens for every cock bird produced, so the use of good coloured cock birds has not only significantly enhanced the colouring but also the size and overall quality of the birds
Craig52

Tiaris wrote:Re: red-fronted Star. Do you think this is a mutation? I have some with that much red on them & they appear to me to be a natural variable trait which is best expressed when selectively enhancing red area and intensity on the head. The green of that one is very different to mine though as mine are on Fawn & Yellow-bodied (cinnamon fawn) birds and the green of the bird in the photo is especially dark & bluish.
Graham Hi, that photo was taken buy an el cheapo kodak digital camera,but i have better ones.The bird was a very good coloured WA star the camera didn't
show the true colour.I only threw that pic in to show the amount of red going down from the bill into yellow breast.I did breed from that bird and resulting young got less and less red in the wrong places.I even bred father to daughter with no good results.I will post pics under star soon. cheers Craig
Last edited by Craig52 on 13 Feb 2012, 20:10, edited 1 time in total.
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

So that star is supposed to be that colour? I've never seen anything like it....
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Jay I think what Craig is saying is that the accuracy of colour in the cheap Kodak is not so good.
LML
LML

Return to “Mutation Finches”