New Blue-headed Gouldian, 2011

An area to discuss new and established colour mutations.
elferoz777

The hard bit is hens show nothing from what I gather making it harder to develop.

Paul are yours normal birds of sf euro yellows?

Ive had some sf birds previously show an off blue tinge rather than grey. One also had orange spots on tje head at the back.
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
Tiaris

I guess you could use normal hens (& cocks) with wider and more pronounced than usual blue collar as outcrosses.
I am interested to know which type of single factor cocks tend to produce the blue suffusion better - the more heavily diluted paler ones with pale grey heads or the darker marked ones with a more sooty head??
elferoz777

Bred this guy last year
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
gouldianpaul

elferoz777 wrote:The hard bit is hens show nothing from what I gather making it harder to develop.

Paul are yours normal birds of sf euro yellows?

Ive had some sf birds previously show an off blue tinge rather than grey. One also had orange spots on tje head at the back.
Hi Steve,

With my birds only the SF Yellow Back's have shown the blue head....which either means it is a sex linked mutation, or just a color variation of the black head (and we are wasting our time)....to me consistent poor breeding results tells me it is a new mutation in the early stage of development.

As for the hens the normal have been pure black heads and the European Yellows have been the traditional smokey grey.

Cheers
Paul
Blue Cuban

Almost 3yrs on from last post so there's been a few seasons between.
Do we have any further updates locally from within Australia?
Hobby finch Keeper
Blue Cuban

To add on to my last post I've been working on developing the blue in the heads of BHPBYB hens and getting results like this.
It's not complete but the blue does go from the back of the head to the beak and is now starting to fill out the rest of the mask area.

And slightly off topic but I do believe it's all related with this development in the hens head and the claimed blue heads (BHPBSF cocks) I'm now getting a strong colour change in the rump of BHPBDF cocks, it shows up as a violet rump.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Blue Cuban on 07 Apr 2018, 10:59, edited 1 time in total.
Hobby finch Keeper
Blue Cuban

Violet rumps.
Hobby finch Keeper
hanabi

Great progress Blue Cuban. The violet rump with the yellow back provides a lovely combination indeed. I'd love to see an image of the entire bird if you ever have the time.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

BC Thanks for the update, it is a nice mix of pastel colours. Any good news from any of the others working on Blue heads?
LML
LML
garyh

There is an add on gumtree,with a yb with a completely blue head being sold by Armed,not that i trust this guy but the photo looks real,garyh

Return to “Mutation Finches”