Over-eager cock?

Includes Species Profile
Dal

Hey guys

I recently (just over a week ago) fledged a couple of BFPF young. Obviously they are still dependant. It appears over the last few days that the hen has gone back to the nest and the cock seems to be doing most (if not all) of the feeding. This afternoon I caught the cock doing the dirty deed with one of the chicks. Is this normal or should I be concerned?

Thanks, Dal
Myzomela

Dal wrote:Hey guys

I recently (just over a week ago) fledged a couple of BFPF young. Obviously they are still dependant. It appears over the last few days that the hen has gone back to the nest and the cock seems to be doing most (if not all) of the feeding. This afternoon I caught the cock doing the dirty deed with one of the chicks. Is this normal or should I be concerned?

Thanks, Dal
Well, that sort of behaviour is frowned upon in most human societies (with a few regional excepetions!!) but obviously not with BFPFs.
Basically if it has a pulse & is female, it's fair game!
So long as the young are being fed by the cock I wouldn't be too worried but I would keep an eye on them. As soon as you think they are independent then fish them out & (send the hens to counselling)!!
Research; evaluate;observe;act
Dal

Myzomela wrote:
Dal wrote:Hey guys

Thanks, Dal
Well, that sort of behaviour is frowned upon in most human societies (with a few regional excepetions!!) but obviously not with BFPFs.
Basically if it has a pulse & is female, it's fair game!
So long as the young are being fed by the cock I wouldn't be too worried but I would keep an eye on them. As soon as you think they are independent then fish them out & (send the hens to counselling)!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :clap:
Very reassuring Myzo :thumbup: . I was concerned that moving them to Lithgow had turned them into in-breeders ;-) Well at least I know I have at least one hen now.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Dal wrote: Very reassuring Myzo :thumbup: . I was concerned that moving them to Lithgow had turned them into in-breeders ;-) Well at least I know I have at least one hen now.
Don't go by the Cockbird mounting another as they will mount the same sex if opportunity knocks..... :thumbup:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
emmo

And other completely different species - I've seen juveniles on Bourke's Parrots and Diamond Doves.

Return to “Blue Faced Parrotfinches”