Tail feathers gone

Includes Species Profile
davlee

I have one pair of BFPF in with a pair of Emblemas and Orange Breasts.

Both BFPF have no tail feathers now. I think a good name for them would be 'stumpy'. It must have been a gradual process as I didn't notice it happening.

What could cause this please? I assume they will grow back. They are both active & healthy.

Dave
Craig52

Hi Dave, this is common with BF and parrot finches in general. They will be moulting at this stage, parrot finches don't lose one tail feather at a time and generally lose the lot all at once. They grow back very quickly and then moult in another area usually the wings but generally one by one but they can moult very quickly in this area as well leaving them flightless in aviary birds. Your birds should be fine. Craig
STUART WHITING

Craig52 wrote: 10 Nov 2017, 17:01 Hi Dave, this is common with BF and parrot finches in general. They will be moulting at this stage, parrot finches don't lose one tail feather at a time and generally lose the lot all at once. They grow back very quickly and then moult in another area usually the wings but generally one by one but they can moult very quickly in this area as well leaving them flightless in aviary birds. Your birds should be fine. Craig
Very much agree :thumbup:

Return to “Blue Faced Parrotfinches”