Aggressive zebras or is it my javas

Includes Species Profile.
Gouldian

Hi, I have recently noticed a wound on one of my zebra finch hens, I have recently introduced some java sparrows but they are fine and very peaceful. My hens are always fighting and sometimes even pick on males! I have had plucked feathers but never a bleeding wound, especially on the breast. The javas recently took a nest box that the zebras liked, could this be the result of a fight between them?
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have Javas and Zebs together. As long as they are not too heavily populated it works. The cock Java is pushy when he has chosen a mate and nest. e.g. clears an area about 40cm all round by bopping intruders. But as long as you have plenty of nests, like at least 1 more nest than hen bird. No injuries. So the questions are 1 how many birds do you have and in what size avairy? How many hen finches do you have and how many nests?
LML
LML
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Gouldian wrote:Hi, I have recently noticed a wound on one of my zebra finch hens, I have recently introduced some java sparrows but they are fine and very peaceful. My hens are always fighting and sometimes even pick on males! I have had plucked feathers but never a bleeding wound, especially on the breast. The javas recently took a nest box that the zebras liked, could this be the result of a fight between them?
Java's and Zeb's both protect their nest area also...so a bit of space between nests is a good idea or partitions to stop them eyeballing one another going into their respective nests... :thumbup:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten

Return to “Zebra”