changed the diet bad move

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
paul

hey all, anyone had luck with crumbles? i have tried in vain,lost 4 gouldians in month, dry, wet,mixed, diffrent brands,arrhh,they were eating them just,they would sit all fluffed up silent not happy.well i placed the seed in for them last week,sprouts,greens,OMG,they were like flys to ****,they were crazy,i felt happy i returned there seed,well not even 1week tight feathers bright eyes,hoping about,singing,gouldians,stars, blackhearts,the only bird that eats them with gusto CANARIES,they EAT,anything :roll:
Page0044

Hi Paul, and welcome to the forum, its hard to change there diet and and i would only put the crumbles in as a secound food, i would still use seed as there main diet, glad to the rest are doing ok
Cheers
Greg
Diane

Hi and welcome to the forum Paul.

Sorry about your losses, cant help with info on crumbles I have never used them.
I find gouldians to be a funny bird sometimes. I have birds that will eat anything, and others that stick to seed and nothing else. This weirdness seems to extend to bathing too. I have a couple that even shove the canaries out of the way to get into the bath first, then there are the others who view the bath with the same distrust as you would give to tax inspector! :D
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
Pete Sara
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

i find that if they havnt been fed the crumbles from day one it isnt going to end well...always feed them what they fed them from where you got them from...pete
gomer

i have tried crumbles,As a extra.mine dont eat them at all.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Had my parrots on the pellet / crumble diet , they loved it and no wonder coz it smelt super sweet only drawbacks were the price and having to order it on line and the supersized craps they did , top this off with the giant poops they do when sitting on eggs and we are talking massive ..... :shock: needless to say they are back on seed and the pellets are a treat for now and then.
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Oh dont know if all breeders do this but I always give the new owners a fair size bag of whatever seed mix they are on and suggest they mix it with their own food to get the birds use to the new diet.
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
Diane

Yes I was planning on doing the same thing with any birds I sell privately. I used give the new owners some food and a toy with the puppy when I was showing/breeding dogs.
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”