Craig52

Please remember our Diggers and Fallen :flower:
matcho

Here Here :clap: !
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Lest we forget :flower:
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
natamambo

:clap: :clap:

Remember the ones whose injuries remained long hidden too - my Uncle's entire unit has developed melanomas and lymphomas but the army denies it has anything do with the day they had Agent Orange dumped on them by some yank who didn't look first.....
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And yet the Navy calls Dad in every year and tests them for hidden nasties caused by chemicals In Vietnam ...and asbestos on the ships ....
Your Uncle might need to get in touch with his local Vietnam Vets Association (my Dad is VP of his chapter ) they deal with any returned servicemen /woman from any war and keep them in the loop about tests , compensation , gold cards , welfare issues , counselling the lot .

Its sad how many ex soldiers dont know what they are entitled to .

Hope this helps your uncle ...
David Brent
natamambo

Thanks Deb, he's well up on all that and (now that he's on the way out) heavily involved with his local RSL. He's got all the entitlements and stuff, it's just that the Yanks continue to claim "no adverse affects" and so we toe the line to some extent. It's better than it used to be for him though, at least Vietnam Vets get some recognition for what they went through.
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Some do Natamambo , Mum does the welfare side , some very sad and lonely ex servicemen still out there doinf it hard .
David Brent
Greg41

Back in WWII my dad was one of 6 brothers all enlisted at the same time, 1 killed, 1 carried shrapnel for the rest of his life and 3 others including my dad all died before their time.Things change but stay the same.

Greg.
GDG
wagga

Just got back from the ANZAC march. Memories of my military service come flooding back. Lucky for me I did not see active service unlike many of my mates who are Vietnam veterans. In my service years I marched proud carrying the SLR towards the Cenotaph with my wife and young children watching. Now we are amongst the ever increase crowds of younger people who by attending the ANZAC day services are remembering those that have fallen before us.

LEST WE FORGET
Life in Port Macquarie is the ultimate Aussie sea change lifestyle.
MadOzzie

I was never a service man but I am the proud son of a man who was an ex-serviceman who died aged 50. Mum has been a war widow for 52 years.

I have the very real privelege of being the Chaplain Coordinator at Greenslopes Private Hospital which this year celebartes 70 years since it was built an an Australian Army Hospital and which became the main Queensland Repatriation Hospital after WW2. It is currently Australia's biggest private hospital which a majority of its patients still being war veterans and war widows.

Today, I had the privilege of leading the prayers at the GPH Dawn Service which was attended by over 1000 people. Our chefs and volunteer staff then provided a sit down Gunfire Breakfast (scrambled eggs , bacon, tomato, hash brown and bread roll plus coffee and rum) for I would think most of the people who attended.

After breakfast I drove home to the Gold Coast and changed in to my Salvo uniform to play in the Gold Coast Temple Band who marched and provided music for the march and the service which followed.

I have the highest regard for those who served and I am grateful that my final years in the workforce will be serving those who still suffer and their families.

Lest we forget.

MadOzzie

Return to “Announcements, News & Rules”