breeding pairs

amalan11

Just wondering,it wont be till the breeding starts in sept but ..I have 2 pairs of canarys.Im getting an extra 2 females and have been told that I should not put them in a breeding cage as say one male and two ladies but put a pair in together and then once the lady has nested take male and put him with a spare female so she can nest too.
Im sure I read somewhere that male canarys can have a few ladies in the one cage and they will nest fine together?
well in seperate nests but you know what I mean :D
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If you have a double or triple breeding cage you put a trio in with nests at opposite ends. You can run him with them both, and if necessary insert the slide once hen 1 is sitting so he will put hen 2 down but still be able to see and feed no 1. Then once both are sitting out with the slide and he goes back and forth feeding. Have not done it, but seen it done.
LML
LML
amalan11

ok that sounds good,it just seems mean to leave one female on her own with a nest ,I will use a double breeding cage as I have a couple.they have a wooden devide but I can easly cut wire to size ..that would work im sure
djb78

Well there is a couple of ways that you can breed multiple hens to a cock. What finchbreeder said is 1way or another is to place cock with one hen and when she goes down take him out and place with a second hen and so forth, once all hens are down place him in a spare cage till mating is required again. I've had a trio in an aviery male only feed one lot of chicks which were with the first hen while the second raised 3 clutches by herself.
Danny

Return to “Canaries”