Worst parents ever ..

jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Anyone got any ideas why One pair of my Purple crowns are so bloody useless ?

They have just fledged the third clutch , healthy little birds but as soon as they leave the nest the parents stop feeding so of course in they come which I think softens them as aviary birds especially this time of year .

I thought with the first 2 clutches it was just inexperience but I now think they just suck as parents .

Any tips ? Any suggestions on what I should be doing ?

Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

They sound like the birdie equivalent of the people who's teens wind up on the streets due to lack of parenting. :think:
LML
LML
VR1Ton

They were mature when you bought them weren't they?

If so I'd be saying sianara, & get in some fresh young birds, I had a pr a while back that would rear till nearly 3/4 grown, then leave them, even after taking babies, they would still not make it to independance, so they were split up & given away, with the fact they were not getting any chick on the perch passed on to the new owners. Never had it before, & hopefully never again, but with something that is relatively common, it's not worth the heartache, or the feed bill.
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

12 months old when I got them last year so not too old , the other pair are older birds .
Im getting them to the perch healthy enough but that's the thing ...I'm doing it and not the parents .

One of the second clutch I had to remove after fledging , healthy , noisy little birds .
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent

Return to “Parrots”