Male canary sining?

Ab's Finches

Hi folks,

I purchased a male canary from the Melbourne bird sale last year, not sure how old it would of been I assume young...But it is yet to sing!
I remember some one telling me that they don't start singing until there older is this true? it's been about a year now so how long does it take for them to sing? I got him because I wanted a singer but the only singing going on at the moment is from the Red faced parrot finch...

Cheers
AB
Tintola

Sining ???:lol: Tell it to say three Hail Marys, put five dollars in the poor box and don't do it again. :roll: Seriously Is it with any other canaries? It will more likely sing if it is not with others. It might be a bit young, they should start at about 3 months or so or when the days start to get longer.
OH LORD, SAVE ME FROM YOUR FOLLOWERS!Image
Pete Sara
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Yes they wont sing to much with other canarys around, they sing to attract a mate, so when he gets his girl he will stop singing, by 6 months when I had them they would be in full swing , but I did have german rollers if I remember correctly as it was nearlly 10 years ago....pete
elferoz777

This may sound silly but play him some youtube clips of male canaries singing full blast. He only needs to hear not see this.

I found this helped waken some of the young males I had.

Other than that ensure his overall health is ok, if they are ill or molting they tend not too sing as much....

Other than that HE may be a SHE as I found with the aptly named gloster canary I have "Duncan" turns out Duncan can also lay eggs. Oddly enough "Duncan" had quite the chirp for a female which is why I though it was a male for so long.

Let me know how it goes?

El Feroz
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

My loverly green Gloster corona is singing to his mate now. But then he sings 9 months of the year. Varies from bird to bird. My other boys are not singing in this slightly chilly weather. But if you have this bird on it's own and have had it over a year without song. Me thinks he is a she.
LML
LML
Ab's Finches

It's in the aviary with my finches. But it's possible it's a girl. I'll have to have a closer look
MadOzzie

I have about 20 canaries in an aviary and I often have at leastfour singing together. I find in spring they seem to compete and get very loud.

MadOzzie

Return to “Canaries”