Exotic Pheasant Breeds

Netsurfer

west finch wrote:Do you do anything to get them to breed in winter ? or is it natural behaviour ? i was under the impression that long daylight hours was required for Chaffies to come into breeding condition and to trigger breeding . :?
finches247 wrote:I give them Lots seeding grasses and silverbeet.They are kept in a fully enclosed aviaries over winter with Led Strip solar panel lights running overnight from 5PM to 7AM Which may act making days seem longer to make them breed.I do breed a few in Spring and Autumn but never any in summer where as all my other finches do breed in summer.
I can't remember exactly when my Chuffinches bred while I had them years ago, I think they started in August - November then again from late February, the females are pretty good sitters and feeders. To get them to breed yes, plenty of seeding grasses and anything else that you know they like to eat, that's pretty much it, same as for any other finches.Make sure they have plenty of live food as well after the young hatch.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I really don't understand why we cant swap birds accross between Australia and NZ. After all we swap people that much, we could almost be the same country. :eureka:
LML
LML
Red

finchbreeder wrote:I really don't understand why we cant swap birds accross between Australia and NZ. After all we swap people that much, we could almost be the same country. :eureka:
LML
New Zealanders can actually bring up to two pet birds to Australia but only if they are:

1. Moving to Australia permanently

2. Have owned the birds for at least a year

3. Are able to convince Director of Animal and Plant Quarantine (Australia) that they are "bonafide companion birds which are not kept in a common aviary with other birds and are not kept for commercial or recreational breeding purposes."

The last point being the dealbreaker.
arthur

I have been told that it is the same in reverse

But since I have no intentions of moving . . anywhere. I have not checked it out

Wonder what would happen if the birds 'accidentally' bred
Red

An interesting hypothetical....
Netsurfer

finches247 wrote:I have baby Red Polls,Yellow Hammers,Chafffinches and Cirl Buntings about to fledge chicks there only worth $15each here.
I would love all the Munias species,Red Avadavats,Purple Grenaider,Tri Colour Parrot Finch,Rufous Backs,Blue Caps ,All Pytlia Species,Orange Cheek and Senegal Waxbill.and some Aberdeens.I wish we could do a Trans Tasman swap.But that would be in my or anyone dreams.
Ok then, I'll swap you a pair of red or yellow Siskins for a pair of either Redpolls or Yellow Hammers! Deal?
finches247
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sorry not into Siskins
But there still here waiting for the day when imports open up in Australia
Myzomela

Hmmmm... so long as you're not holding your breath Henry!!
Research; evaluate;observe;act
Danny

Hey 247, know any friends moving over that have a pet cock cardinal and a pet hen shama :thumbup: ;-)

Danny
Tintola

Danny wrote:Hey 247, know any friends moving over that have a pet cock cardinal and a pet hen shama :thumbup: ;-)

Danny
And a pet Roul Roul hen please :shifty: .
OH LORD, SAVE ME FROM YOUR FOLLOWERS!Image

Return to “Poultry & Game Birds”