new pair

Includes Species Profile
djb78

Well today I bit the bullet and got a young pair, absolutely stunning pair only 1 year old and parents were in fine form and looked the goods. I will try and post pics over the next few days as they are very flighty. Any tips on a diet as to keep them healthy. I'm currently giving them nyjer along with a finch mix which consists of millets and Canary, crushed sunflower and a few other oil seeds will be added. This is the same as what I feed my yellows. As normal all fruits veg and greens will be supplied. How do they go with eating egg? Will it be something which they will try or is it not worth the try.
Danny
Lukec

These guys are real fussy.

Try and mimic the diet the breeder had them on

The Niger and sunflower is key to the basic part of their diet.
Living In a Unit is Worse Than Being Attached to a Ball and Chain.
djb78

Thanks luke I might just stick with the normal diet which he gave me and try new things later.
Danny
Tiaris

What Luke said for seeds plus you can do no wrong with greens of any kind.
lardles

They love milk thistle, winter grass sedding heads, but any greens really. Might be fussy seed eaters ( crushed sunflower & niger), but tough. Mine sleep oput in the open.
djb78

untitled.jpg
Here's the picture of my new pair its a bit late. They are still very shy. They are in a double Canary breeding box waiting their time to go to a flight which is about 4 weeks away.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Danny
Tony

I have a trio and when breeding, one hen will take as many maggots as you can give her and the other doesn't even look sideways at them. They love any greens and if they have aphids on them they spend hours picking them off. Mine will also take egg and biscuit and soaked seed as well as the basics of sunflower kernels, small amounts of niger and standard finch mix is avaiable. They tend to nest easily but keeping the young alive after around 10 days is a problem on cold nights as the hens stop brooding around then.
Good luck

Return to “Red Siskin”