Birds, Cats & Coyotes: trap-neuter & related efforts fail to

Share your favourite books and links here.
findi

Hi All,
Bird owners are usually concerned with the welfare of wild species, so today I’d like to focus on an under-appreciated conservation concern, feral cat predation upon birds. Recent studies have shown that “trap-neuter-release” programs, collars with bells, and other popular control methods are failing to protect wildlife.
Although estimates of cat numbers vary widely, it is certain that feral and free-roaming house cats in the USA kill millions of native birds, reptiles and amphibians and billions of mammals yearly. Read article here: http://bitly.com/LqjsRo
Comments and questions appreciated. As I do not place notices here each time I post a new article on That Bird Blog, you may wish to check in periodically or subscribe; you can do so here http://bitly.com/J500rb. Please also check out my posts on Twitter http://bitly.com/JP27Nj.

Thanks, Frank

My Bio http://bitly.com/KTsPE3

Face Book http://on.fb.me/KckP1m
Tintola

Thanks Frank, Very relevant here in Australia. :thumbup:
OH LORD, SAVE ME FROM YOUR FOLLOWERS!Image
findi

Tintola wrote:Thanks Frank, Very relevant here in Australia. :thumbup:
My pleasure, and thank you. I once came across a study showing that feral cats survive without any access to standing water in some Australian habitats; lizards, birds and sm mammals supply all their needs. Another population, stranded off the Falklands when a ship went aground, is the southernmost population of any non-marine mammal; they survive despite the cold, feeding entirely upon sea birds. Yet here in the US many people (usually in/near lg cities) will brave terrible weather to make sure that local feral cat populations "get enough to eat"!....they'll be here long after us, I'm sure! (I have worked with a number of wild cat species, incidentally, and am very interested in their natural history & conservation, but this issue is not well understood, at least in much of the US).

Best, Frank
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Most cat owners are aware I think that nuetering has little effect on cats .The instinct to kill over powers all.
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

jusdeb wrote:Most cat owners are aware I think that nuetering has little effect on cats .The instinct to kill over powers all.
:D :D :D of course neutering dosen't work...there not having sex with their prey.. :D :D they're eating them :D :D
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
desertbirds

findi wrote:Hi All,
Bird owners are usually concerned with the welfare of wild species, so today I’d like to focus on an under-appreciated conservation concern, feral cat predation upon birds.
WE HEAR YOU LOUD AND CLEAR FINDI.WE DONT UNDER APPRECIATE IT ALL - particulary me who lives in the desert and sees the destruction these vermin cause daily .Sorry for yelling but you`re a long way away, and some folk refuse to accept the damage that the family pet can do. :thumbdown: :sick:
Finch_Breeder

vettepilot_6 wrote:
jusdeb wrote:Most cat owners are aware I think that nuetering has little effect on cats .The instinct to kill over powers all.
:D :D :D of course neutering dosen't work...there not having sex with their prey.. :D :D they're eating them :D :D
:lol:
Birds I own/have owned: Budgerigars, **Zebra Finches**, **Star Finches**, Canaries, Diamond doves... Rocky the Galah! & Cocky the Sulphur Crested 'too
-Mike-
findi

desertbirds wrote:
findi wrote:Hi All,
Bird owners are usually concerned with the welfare of wild species, so today I’d like to focus on an under-appreciated conservation concern, feral cat predation upon birds.
WE HEAR YOU LOUD AND CLEAR FINDI.WE DONT UNDER APPRECIATE IT ALL - particulary me who lives in the desert and sees the destruction these vermin cause daily .Sorry for yelling but you`re a long way away, and some folk refuse to accept the damage that the family pet can do. :thumbdown: :sick:
Ha!...well said, thanks. I have to yell also, even to those close at hand! Best, Frank

Return to “Books And Links”