What is killing my finches??????

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
seadancer

Hi,
Over the past three weeks I have lost 6 finches ...one by one.... in strange circumstances. Each one died during the night, to be found in the morning at the back of the aviary. No signs of illness, they appeared perfectly healthy the day before. Their diet has not been changed, there are no rats ect. getting in the aviary, and I am at a loss as to why these finches are dying! We dont have cats ( although there are cats in the neighbourhood ) and we have started leaving a light on in case some cat has been getting in at night and frightening them, but it has'nt stoped the deaths.
Please, if you have any idea what is causing this , please HELLLLLLLLLP!!!!
Diane

Sorry about your losses.
Sounds like it could any number of things.
Could it be getting too cold on a night for them? (not sure where you are as your profile dosnt say)
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
gomer

As Diane said could be many things.Night disturbances ,draughts,disease.etc
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
kevins

Hi Sea dancer
So sorry to hear about your finches.....its heart breaking when this happens....i think everyone has had a similar experience as part of their finch keeping
As some others have pointed out it could be many things...there are a lot of very knowledgeable people on here that would be able to comment on your problem......but its very difficult if you dont indicate what area you are from.....eg if you lived in southern Tasmania then it might be easier to point to cold being a big part of the problem.
Other things that would need to be told are things like ..whats the aviary like?...is it fully roofed?...are there areas of the floor that remain damp......did you get the birds from a reputable source?...what water do you use?...sometimes local water supplies can have a lot of chlorine in it....do you worm the birds?...how often?......do you treat them for coccidiosis?...what species of finch are they?
Sometimes it can be tricky to answer questions such as this without this added information...I really hope your birds will be fine from now on...hope this has helped
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I can only agree with the others.
Cold nights, particularly if these are new finches, who havent established a warm roosting spot.
Prowling cats or rats or mice, scaring them.
Disese, though the quantity would be a bit more inclined to increase, than stay the same.
So where are you?
Have you just added these birds to your aviary recently?
Has anything about your set up changed recently?
LML
LML
seadancer

Hi,
Thank you for your help , I am in Western Sydney, the weather has been cold but not overly so....night temps could get down to 3-4 , rarely 2-3. My finches are Gouldians. They are in an aviary of about 5'x6,' with roof and two sides covered and earth floor. I have bought a bigger aviary for them, which hubby is going to errect shortly, and they will be moved into at a later date when it is warmer. The thing is they dont show any signs of being ill, and they are dying at night only, one at a time....one will die and a few days later, another one ect.
I bought them about 6 months ago, all from the same private breeder. I have no idea how old they were....could they possibly be aged stock?
Diane

Even if they were older stock its not likely they would die off within a matter of weeks of each other. :?
I know gouldians dont like drafts.
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Night frights will kill birds this way , even if they dont break their necks flying into the wire the cold on top of the shock will finish them off....
I have neophemas as well as finches , the neos are well known for night frights which sets the whole lot of them flying around like theyre demented , a childs night light fixed the problem straight away.
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
gomer

I would first treat for worms and parasites(hook worms, mites, protozens etc).Then bacteria infections,and maybe coccidia.Check the area for poisons, Chemicals etc.Check for signs of rodents,poison if needed.Keep an eye out at night for cats or possoms.If you need to take the next death to a avian vet for a postmorton.From what you have discribed the avairy sounds ok.As long as the birds are protected from draughts,As this is a big killer of gouldians or any finch for that matter.Good luck.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
seadancer

Thanks guys for all your help and suggestions.....I might add hubby has a large mixed aviary....none of his birds have died, only my finches. :(

Return to “Finch Health”