Worming Finches

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
lyn2233

Hi, I want to worm my finches tomorrow and have 3 lots of star babies just hatched, is it safe to worm them while they are feeding young.

Thanks for any replies.
finches247
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I never worm my birds when they have fledglings as I think I have killed chicks when they feed them as it come up and is too much for them.I worm when just after breeding season and just before breeding season.
ColouredFeathers

Me too before breeding and after breeding better to be safe than sorry.
cheers flavio :thumbup:
Image Image Image
lyn2233

Thanks for the replies, will leave it for now. :thumbup:
Tiaris

Which wormer were you going to use?
lyn2233

Hi,I bought Worm-Enda Plus is that an okay worming med as the last one I had was a thick yellow paste and did'nt seem to dilute. Also I have heard people put brown sugar in with it to make it sweet. Any advice would be appreciated. :)
Tiaris

I've never used that wormer. The reason I asked is that there is some evidence that Moxydectin can affect juvenile begging. Having said this I worm every 3 months irrespective of many pairs breeding virtually every time I have wormed without any noticeable adverse effect (incluiding with Moxydectin). I am more worried by the likely effect of worms in my finches than any adverse effect of worming which I haven't yet encountered.
mickw

All good advice here lyn.....this topic has been discussed on the forum quite alot.....maybe do a search....but get comfortable, there's alot to read :crazy: ........

One thing I consider carefully is the weather in the lead up to, and during worming.........I generally used Moxidectin plus.........I aim for good dry weather during worming as the solution (assuming you're delivering it via drinking water) can be quite unpalatable. If there is any rain or even dew about, (like there is on the east coast at the moment) your birds will drink rain drops in preference to taking treated water.............and miss being treated

The thick paste you mention sounds familiar........I have had no problem using both it and Moxidectin even with young in nests......but they take the latter much more readily in my experiences.......I havent used Worm-enda.
lyn2233

Thanks for the replies, Mick where do you buy the Moxidectin from, when I have gone to buy worm medicine I was sold the Worm Enda Plus. As I have 3 lots of stars with young or sitting on eggs I will have to remove them to a cage and worm them as they keep building nests and having young. :)
VR1Ton

Yellow paste would probably e Worm Out Gel from Vetafarm, pain in the backside to mix, more aimed towards parrot were you can direct dose.

Return to “Finch Health”