cock fight?

amalan11

Can anyone tell me are Roller males agressive ? I had 2 males and 3 ladies in a cage fine for 2 months then the other day I came home to one male with both eyes shut very badly picked and all fluffed up.3 days on in a cage with just orange breasts he is recovering and one eye is open.
Im suspecting it was the other male ...
I have just gone and got him one of his females [funny enough the other male seems to have paired up with the injured boys other female ]
and put her in with him now he can see again and has got upoff the floor I thought he would like company.But im counting on it being the other male ,it would be awful if it was the female hes now with although he seems happy to see her
MadOzzie

Male canaries coming into breeding season will fight and cause such injuries that they can be fatal. I had a crested canary which lost its whole crest in a fight. It was about as sick as yours.

MadOzzie.
amalan11

Sounds awful but thats a relief,I will have to be very carefull of that nasty boy that he is never put with another male.My injured boy is at least looking like he will live anthough im not sure whats under the very swolen side .Would not be surprised if he is missing an eye :sob:
MadOzzie

I think you will find they are okay together in non-breeding season but what for early signs of fighting from July/ August.

MadOzzie
djb78

I have seen males fight like two hawks with their fight attacking in mid flight but i can't say that I've seen that much damage before. Male rollers are very competitive for a hen so these wounds would surely have been the other male.
Danny

Return to “Canaries”