Hundreds of skylarks

This is the forum for any topics/posts regarding Softbills, Weavers or Whydahs that do not currently have a species profile of their own. If you wish to complete a profile feel free to do so, on completion send it to Admin for correct placement on the forum.
Mortisha

are skylarks classified as feral or just "introduced?"

Partly agree with Stephstar on captured wild adult birds. They get so stressed out by the whole ordeal.
I wouldn't be able to handle them throwing themselves at the wire every time a person came near.
That is why I think it would be better to stake out a few nest sites and collect some youngsters instead.
A least then they will be more approachable and easier to handle when they are older.
E Orix

Are you sure they are the introduced Sky Lark and not one of our native Field Larks or like specie.
Sky Larks being non natives are permitted to be trapped providing it is not in a cruel way, while trapping the local species can be legally expensive.
The normal trapping method is ground feed,a call bird and a net.
mattymeischke

E Orix wrote:Are you sure they are the introduced Sky Lark and not one of our native Field Larks or like specie........The normal trapping method is ground feed,a call bird and a net.
I have had to work out the field marks, because in our back paddock we have the Eurasian Skylark, Horsfield's Bush Lark and the Australasian (formerly Richard's) Pipit, all of which are ground-dwelling song birds.
The songflight is distinctive: the Eurasian Skylarks fly high and hover, and the song is an order of magnitude louder, clearer and more varied than the bushlark. They come down more or less directly to the ground. The bushlark does low, loopy dips while it sings (a much less impressive song) and usually flies down to land on a fencepost or similar. The pipit is a crap singer and only confusing visually. It lacks the crest of the Eurasian Skylark and has white edges on its tail.

I have so far tried grain, mealies and playback for bait, but had no luck. All the people I've spoken to with direct knowledge of successful trapping say that a call bird is the only way. I'm hoping to get back to Lake George soon to check nests, but without a lure bird I think my chances of trapping any are poor.

My other issue is trying to figure out who the landholder is in the area I think is most promising, but I am working on that.
Avid amateur aviculturalist; I keep mostly australian and foreign finches.
The art is long, the life so short; the critical moment is fleeting and experience can be misleading, crisis is difficult....... (Hippocrates)

Return to “For any species not listed below”