My new arrivals

This is the forum for any topics/posts regarding Softbills, Weavers or Whydahs that do not currently have a species profile of their own. If you wish to complete a profile feel free to do so, on completion send it to Admin for correct placement on the forum.
natamambo

After years of hoping, months of scheming and more than one hiccup along the way, my deepest thanks to VR1Ton for making this possible :clap: :D :D :D

No clear shot of hen yet, she's still too busy preening after her big flight :lol: .

Can't wait till he's fully coloured. He's a tame little fella, already had a drink from feeder right beside me and given a few little tinkle bells.

Mod's - time for a new sub-forum and collect all the other threads (including my mis-posted species profile) me thinks 8-) .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Myzomela

Congratulations Natamambo!
Now I understand the species profile you posted!
You will love them, I'm sure of that.
Quite easy to look after, yet challenging enough to breed.
Congrats also to VR1Ton for providing you with young, tame birds.

The AFF proves it's value yet again!
Research; evaluate;observe;act
SamDavis

Congratulations and best of luck with them - very cool species. We've had heaps of wild ones move through our grevilleas over the last few weeks. I'm hoping to get a pair once my planted aviary extension is complete and plants established.
finches247
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Congratulations Natamambo :thumbup: :clap:
Mortisha

lovely!
natamambo

Myzomela wrote:Congratulations Natamambo!
Now I understand the species profile you posted!
You will love them, I'm sure of that.
Quite easy to look after, yet challenging enough to breed.
Congrats also to VR1Ton for providing you with young, tame birds.

The AFF proves it's value yet again!
Myzo - AFF is the best thing that's happened to Australian small passerine aviculture I reckon. I tried ASA 30 years ago and couldn't break in to the old boys club so I gave up. Kept the common finches and parrots, made acquaintances (friends is too strong a word) with a few of the breeders of same but compared to now it was low key. Simple seed eaters, varied breeding success.

The willingness of AFF members to share information and birds and to support one another has made it possible for me to get into dream territory. Insectivores last year with the superb wrens and crimson chats and the honeyeaters this year mean 3 of my 4 flights are complete. All I am chasing now is white winged wrens (since we can't have yellow chats in Vic) and once they happen I'll move on most of my Gouldians to free up that flight. (Did I say all :shock: ? I forgot I have some red chested button quail on order too :lol: ).

There is a perception, perpetrated by many in ASA and occasionally on here, that the small softbills are a lot of effort and risk. They tie you down, yes, but are far less risk than many other and more favoured birds (such as blue Gouldians :problem: ). My softbills have required thorough preparation on my part in advance of their arrival but have been well worth the effort and now I enjoy them far more than stressing over every cold wind coming my way.

My "bird room" is the spare bathroom in the house. The honeyeaters are in a holding cage finding (very successfully) their new feeding station and I can hear his little tinkle bells down the hall way already. Monday will be 28C here and they'll go outside then. I can tell already that I'll enjoy them as much (far more) than I had expected....
Myzomela

I'm sure everyone on the forum wishes you all the very best with them.
Have fun!
Research; evaluate;observe;act
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Congratulations Natamambo :D :D
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Congratulations on your new challenge. And good on VR. :thumbup:
LML
LML

Return to “For any species not listed below”