Anybody used AVI-NATURAL??

For all your questions about diet and food for your finches
kimberley breeder

In the last few issues of Just Finches and Softbills magazine there has been a product called AVI-NATURAL. What I like the sound of is being able to control parasites without having to use chemicals.

Here in Kununurra its over 30 degrees most of the year and not ideal to be dosing birds with wormers etc...in this heat.

Has anybody had any experience with this product?? Any insight would be great before I order. Thanks!!
Misso

kimberley breeder wrote:In the last few issues of Just Finches and Softbills magazine there has been a product called AVI-NATURAL. What I like the sound of is being able to control parasites without having to use chemicals.

Here in Kununurra its over 30 degrees most of the year and not ideal to be dosing birds with wormers etc...in this heat.

Has anybody had any experience with this product?? Any insight would be great before I order. Thanks!!
I have a bucket, but have only used a little in my seed bins.

their is already a few posts on the forum, but its probs under diatomaceous earth as a topic search.

theirs mixed feeling about this product.

misso :)
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I mix it with my pink pigeon powder (PVM?), and the finches go through it quickly enough just in a bowl by itself :)
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
Craig52

I sprinkle it and shake it around inside my crimsons nest boxes before they begin building their nests in them.I've seen no bugs/mites in used and disgarded nesting materials. Craig
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

crocnshas wrote:I sprinkle it and shake it around inside my crimsons nest boxes before they begin building their nests in them.I've seen no bugs/mites in used and disgarded nesting materials. Craig
I do same as Craig..but in all nests and mix a very small amount on the green feed etc...also good for ants...when caravaning we use it around the legs of van etc, to stop them climbing up...works so far :thumbup:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Finches2011

I came upon this old series of posts about Avi-Natural (Diatomaceous Earth). This is food grade DE and can be used to mix into your dry seed to control grain moth infestations. It is certainly effective for that, but is also claimed to be beneficial for your birds in control internal parasites. South African finch breeders swear by it and there are published science articles showing this effect in poultry. I use it in my grit mix and mix into dry seed that goes into my hoppers. I know others here in Brisbane who blend it into their softfood for finches.

Avi-Natural is now marketed through Naturally for Birds - www.naturallyforbirds.com.au
NFB

Return to “Diet & Food”