What the uninterested overlook !!

This is the forum for any topics/posts regarding Softbills, Weavers or Whydahs that do not currently have a species profile of their own. If you wish to complete a profile feel free to do so, on completion send it to Admin for correct placement on the forum.
Danny

Tintola wrote:Danny, could you elaborate on dimorphism in Silver-eyes please. :?
Same sort of diffrences as we see in Red Brows - depth of colour (grey green vs greeny-brown), brightness of neck or flanks (must be of same subspecies) - a pair together stand out once you get useed to looking at them.
Danny

Some eye pics and the paper that confirmed my observations http://blx1.bto.org/pdf/ringmigration/22_4/smith.pdf
male - iris barely discernable from pupil
female - iris readily discernable from pupil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tintola

I notice the teardrop extension on the left of the hen's eye whereas the cock has a perfectly round eye. Is that just a coincidence?
OH LORD, SAVE ME FROM YOUR FOLLOWERS!Image
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Tintola wrote:I notice the teardrop extension on the left of the hen's eye whereas the cock has a perfectly round eye. Is that just a coincidence?
Shes a Ladyyy... :lol:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Craig52

Well the bird in Cases pic is a hen, yeah.
Netsurfer

Danny wrote:Some eye pics and the paper that confirmed my observations http://blx1.bto.org/pdf/ringmigration/22_4/smith.pdf
male - iris barely discernable from pupil
female - iris readily discernable from pupil
I took several photos of a WWW male and a female eye just for the record couple years ago but unfortunately I wasn't as lucky could not see any difference. ;-)
mattymeischke

Tintola wrote:I notice the teardrop extension on the left of the hen's eye whereas the cock has a perfectly round eye. Is that just a coincidence?
I think so:
starling eye hen.jpg
starling eye cock.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Avid amateur aviculturalist; I keep mostly australian and foreign finches.
The art is long, the life so short; the critical moment is fleeting and experience can be misleading, crisis is difficult....... (Hippocrates)
Danny

Probably determined by how hard I was holding it around the neck - they are very squirmy birds to hold.
GregH

Well this begs the question "Is there the same eye-colour dimorphism in the native metallic starling?"
Tintola

Absolutely not, all of mine, male and female, are identical, blood red. I have to DNA sex them.
OH LORD, SAVE ME FROM YOUR FOLLOWERS!Image

Return to “For any species not listed below”