Painted Fich colour variants

An area to discuss new and established colour mutations.
thewaxbill

I keep Painted Finches myself as it is my favourite Australian Finch, in the U.K and throughout mainland Europe we have the yellow colour variant of the Painted Fich which as been around for at least 10 years to my knowledge. As i do not breed colour variants myself i have only ever seen a few and these in my opinion were poor birds compared to the wild type however this was a while back and i suspect diversity as now improved this colour variant, what are your opinions of this bird compared to the wild type? i have also seen mentioned on this forum a fawn Painted Finch which i had never heard of before, is it possible to post a photo of this colour variant? and what are the genetics of this type? is it a recessive sexlinked cinnamon?
Regards Bob
http://www.waxbillfinchsociety.org.uk
Keeping the faith in Yorkshire
Craig52

G'day Bob,if you go to mutation finches and look up topic(Pink Painted) you will see some pics of fawn painteds that i put up,i don't keep them anymore but the person who now has them is doing very well with them. Cheers Craig
thewaxbill

Thanks Craig i had a look at the Pink Painted topic, very interesting indeed, i noticed you say they are not fawns as there been any true fawns bred at all?
Regards Bob
Craig52

Hi Bob,i suppose they are fawns but in some birds the black holds on the chest which it shouldn't,it should be dark chocolate brown to be called a fawn so i called them dilute backed but they are autosomal recessive which is the terminology for a fawn.
Are there fawns in England or any other mutations of painteds? Craig
thewaxbill

Hi Craig, as far as i know we only have the yellow colour variant in the Painted Finch, i personally like the the full red fronted form myself but i have never seen one in the flesh, there is probably some on mainland Europe but as far as i know the yellow is the only truly established colour variant.Normal Painted's sell at around £125 a pair in the U.K, this price seems to have held steady for the last 10-15 years, yellows are around £250 a pair which is considerably lower than about 5 years ago when they were selling at around £500 a pair.
Regards Bob

Return to “Mutation Finches”