Society Finch Origins

Includes Species Profile
Aussie_Bengo

Danny wrote:
Aussie_Bengo wrote:And if you think it's all a bit of BS then that's OK too! ;-)

Cheers!
I can only assume BS=Bengalese story

:thumbup: Right you are.
ruthieharris

Are these the finches that make great foster parents? Say if finches abandon their nest, would these be likely to finish rearing the young? If so a must have in the Aviary for difficult breeders hey :)
Never ever be afraid to do whats right if the well being of an animal is at stake.
Societys punishments are small compared to the wounds we afflict on our Soul when we look the other way.
~ Blue Caps ~ Tanimbars ~ Cutthroats ~ Gouldians ~ Silkie Chickens~
Diane

They do have a reputation for being great parents and very willing foster parents, but they can carry a disease which can be passed on to other species, especially species that are naturally found in dry environments, for example gouldians. Also Bengalese don't feed their young for as long as gouldians, leaving any fostered young with a longer parent fed time (again the gouldian) at a disadvantage.

http://www.ladygouldianfinch.com/features_fostering.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

bluebutterfly213 wrote:They do have a reputation for being great parents and very willing foster parents, but they can carry a disease which can be passed on to other species, especially species that are naturally found in dry environments, for example gouldians. Also Bengalese don't feed their young for as long as gouldians, leaving any fostered young with a longer parent fed time (again the gouldian) at a disadvantage.

http://www.ladygouldianfinch.com/features_fostering.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wasn't it the Japanese who used Bengalese as foster parents for breeding Gouldians? And had very good success at it? I myself wouldn't do it though as I believe in the above statement of not getting long enough feed time for young.....but in an emergency who knows?
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Diane

You are right, the Chinese and the Japanese did have a lot of success breeding and raising Bengalese for many hundreds of years, as far as using them for fostering other species I don't know.
Im sure lots of people have had great success using them as fosters. I know in the USA lots of people use them to the point, or so it seems to me, that anyone getting into Gouldians for the first time could get the impression that Gouldians don't know how to raise their own babies. I admit they do stress the need for "clean" strains of Bengalese when using them to foster Gouldians.
If I had Bengalese and had an orphan/tossed chick I certainly would give it a try, far better than losing the youngster.
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
TomDeGraaff

To update this thread from another one, I have added these references to the pure origins of the Bengalese finch.

Restall, Robin F.Z.S., M.B.O.U.(1975) Finches and Other Seed-eating Birds Faber and Faber p 196
Restall, Robin F.Z.S., M.B.O.U.(1996) Munia and Mannikins Pica Press p 83
Buchan, James (1976) The Bengalese Finch Isles d'Avon Ltd p 6
Panjer, Fred and Wigmore, Jan (2002) The Bengalese Finch NBFA p 3
Kearvell, Paul (2012) The Australian Bengalese Finch Australian Birdkeeper Magazine p 277
Barnicoat, Fred (1999) On the Early History of the Bengalese Australian Aviculture

Please can we call this thread "Bengalese Finch" ???

They are a uniqueand pure population and deserve the care and respect as such.
arthur

Uraeginthus wrote:Please can we call this thread "Bengalese Finch" ???

Didn't want to be picky . . but now that somebody has 'moved' the motion, I will second it

'Society Finch' . . . very much Good Ol' US of A for mine

. . Along with 'Owls Finches' & 'Cherry Finches'

Perhaps I AM being picky :?
TomDeGraaff

Maybe we should go the other way and use shaft-tail, ruficauda, Lady Gould, common waxbill or my favourite yellow-eyed canaries! :)

Return to “Society Finch”