USB microscopes for poopology - views/experiences?

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
Finchy

Hi

I have been researching which microscope to buy for bird poop study purposes and had just about settled on a short-list when my other half piped in and said "Don't buy anything that won't plug into a computer; as soon as you find something you're going to want to show someone a photo." Good point.

Does anyone have USB capability on an inexpensive but still worthwhile microscope that provides clear 400X magnification? Any other thoughts or recommendations about this?

Danny

For general faecal diagnostics, 100 x is more than adequate.
mattymeischke

Most new microscopes have the capacity to take/export images, though it is an 'extra' on most of the basic models. This can take the form of a USB plug or port, or a piece that goes between the eyepiece and the rest of the microscope. Older models can often be retrofitted with these bits.
Avid amateur aviculturalist; I keep mostly australian and foreign finches.
The art is long, the life so short; the critical moment is fleeting and experience can be misleading, crisis is difficult....... (Hippocrates)
Myzomela

Or you can just focus many point-and-shoot cameras down the eyepiece and take a reasonable photograph.
Research; evaluate;observe;act
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Finchy

Thanks for your tips, peeps.

VP, how do you go with viewing truly microscopic things that ordinarily require a back light to examine them properly? Can you see microorganisms in bird poop with an over head light? I would not have thought so...

vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Finchy wrote:Thanks for your tips, peeps.

VP, how do you go with viewing truly microscopic things that ordinarily require a back light to examine them properly? Can you see microorganisms in bird poop with an over head light? I would not have thought so...

You are right you cant but for what I require it is fine...if I need more diagnosing I send sample off...
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten

Return to “Finch Health”