European Song Thrush

This is the forum for any topics/posts regarding Softbills, Weavers or Whydahs that do not currently have a species profile of their own. If you wish to complete a profile feel free to do so, on completion send it to Admin for correct placement on the forum.
Aussie_Bengo

I believe this is an introduced species.
Do many members keep/breed them?
E Orix

It is introduced,maybe one of the Melbourne Maltese breeders maybe able to assist you.
Aussie_Bengo

Here is some descriptive info....

Here is an image that looks correct. I think they are quite striking.
Song Thrush_AFF.jpg
Also a British You Tube clip of the song, assuming that is the same species being called a "Song Thrush" as in Australia. A lovely Song indeed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2N9BN-mYrw

Happy to stand corrected on any front.
Cheers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tintola

I have kept and bred them in captivity . I lost the old male that I have had for years about two months ago. Went blind though old age. Very easy to keep and when breeding will rear up to five young if plenty of earthworms or compost worms are available. Usually need some mud to bind the nest together. Wild caught ones are very shy but hand reared ones are very tame. They are introduced and their main stronghold is Victoria and they are closely related to the European Blackbird, though not as aggressive.
OH LORD, SAVE ME FROM YOUR FOLLOWERS!Image
Danny

Tintola wrote:I have kept and bred them in captivity . I lost the old male that I have had for years about two months ago. Went blind though old age. Very easy to keep and when breeding will rear up to five young if plenty of earthworms or compost worms are available. Usually need some mud to bind the nest together. Wild caught ones are very shy but hand reared ones are very tame. They are introduced and their main stronghold is Victoria and they are closely related to the European Blackbird, though not as aggressive.
I've heard that locally, Tint was known as the "King of thrush". I can only assume this was why :oops:
Tintola

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Trust you :roll:
Aussie_Bengo

Tintola wrote:I have kept and bred them in captivity . I lost the old male that I have had for years about two months ago. Went blind though old age. Very easy to keep and when breeding will rear up to five young if plenty of earthworms or compost worms are available. Usually need some mud to bind the nest together. Wild caught ones are very shy but hand reared ones are very tame. They are introduced and their main stronghold is Victoria and they are closely related to the European Blackbird, though not as aggressive.

What do you thnk a mnimum enclosure would be for an aviary bred pair? Also what would you pay for them?
Thanks for your reply Tintola, I'm sure you have very good hygiene ;-)
Tintola

About 10 sq mtrs would be minimum, the bigger the better really. They will nest in thick brushwood or in a suitablly sized basket, but prefer a dense live shrub.

Return to “For any species not listed below”