Genetic Recombination Sex-linkage

An area to discuss new and established colour mutations.
Finchy

Bob, as it happens I have just done this - by accident, as one of my male RFPFs divorced and remarried. He is Seagreen and his new wife is Normal pied. They have produced one daughter so far who is Seagreen with a fully yellow beak, meaning pied colouration should appear in due course (yes? no?)
(Here she is on day 1: viewtopic.php?f=166&t=13406)

Nat, awesome explanation, thanks. Are you saying that all daughters from this pairing will necessarily be pied, but sons will be 50% pied? How so? Is pied sex-linked too? I know pied has odd inheritance so I think I need to learn more...
firetail555

One question, are seagreen cocks more expensive than hens?
Myzomela

Good question firetail.
It would make no sense for hens & cocks to be the same price if a mutation is sex-linked because only the cocks could be split. With any desirable mutation this usually means that split cocks are worth more than their normal counterparts of either sex, since you can produce mutation hens from a split cock but you can't produce coloured birds from normals.

If it is an autosomal recessive mutation, and both sexes can be split fro the mutation, then it doesn't matter.
Research; evaluate;observe;act
natamambo

Finchy wrote:Bob, as it happens I have just done this - by accident, as one of my male RFPFs divorced and remarried. He is Seagreen and his new wife is Normal pied. They have produced one daughter so far who is Seagreen with a fully yellow beak, meaning pied colouration should appear in due course (yes? no?)
(Here she is on day 1: viewtopic.php?f=166&t=13406)

Nat, awesome explanation, thanks. Are you saying that all daughters from this pairing will necessarily be pied, but sons will be 50% pied? How so? Is pied sex-linked too? I know pied has odd inheritance so I think I need to learn more...
No Finchy, the 50% pied is on average and sex independent so you'll get pied cock and hen young regardless of sex of pied parent.
Aussie_Bengo

Hi All,

What inheretance is the cream/white Longtail?
Without knowing for sure, I am assuming that is also sex-linked like the cinnamon.
From the examples I've seen it has quite pink eyes. Could it possibly be a light cinnamon or "fallow"?

Overseas there is a Cremino Bengalese that is similar looking in comparison to the cream/white Longtail.
The OS Bengalese Finch Cremino is a Sex-Linked pink eyed mutation that Authors overseas call a par-ino but I'm not sure that its not a light fallow cinnamon.
I'm learning everyday and trying to contribute rather than hinder or speak out of turn so a pinch of salt is to be taken with my comments.
I believe that with finches particularly (as per statements made by Terry Martin and other readings) in white based finches (not yellow like RFPFs or canaries), the Isabel Mutation is a recessive mutation (not Sex-Linked) that removes the black pigments from a bird (eg. Zebra Finch and Lonchura) where only the red/brown pigments remain (finches like these are stated to have the two types of pigments separately within their feather structure, the Black eumelanin and the red/brown phaomelanin). I think the yellow based finches generally don't have the red/brown pigments like the zebra finch cheeks but only have the black colours, its once the black is changed to brown through the cinnamon mutation (like the blue (yellow removed) Canary) that some of these fawny colours can be produced in yellow based birds.
Jut thought I'd offer that to the fray.

Also, Overseas there is a Sex-Linked Pearl mutation in the Bengalese which is like a lacewing or pearling mutation.
I don't know of a Pearl/Cremino Bengalese overseas (to tie back into the thread ;-) )

Thanks
Red

Aussie_Bengo wrote: I think the yellow based finches generally don't have the red/brown pigments like the zebra finch cheeks but only have the black colours, its once the black is changed to brown through the cinnamon mutation (like the blue (yellow removed) Canary) that some of these fawny colours can be produced in yellow based birds.
I think canaries have some natural brown pigment even before black melanin is changed to brown by the cinnamon trait. You can see some brown pigment in a "blue" (white ground black melanin or "grey" if you like) canary. G.B.R. Walker has said that the wild canary has four colour pigments, one black, two brown and one yellow.
Aussie_Bengo

Red wrote:
Aussie_Bengo wrote: I think the yellow based finches generally don't have the red/brown pigments like the zebra finch cheeks but only have the black colours, its once the black is changed to brown through the cinnamon mutation (like the blue (yellow removed) Canary) that some of these fawny colours can be produced in yellow based birds.
I think canaries have some natural brown pigment even before black melanin is changed to brown by the cinnamon trait. You can see some brown pigment in a "blue" (white ground black melanin or "grey" if you like) canary. G.B.R. Walker has said that the wild canary has four colour pigments, one black, two brown and one yellow.
OK Thanks for the feedback, very interesting.

Return to “Mutation Finches”