parrot problems in brisbane

arthur

THINH Do's pets have got his neighbours in a flap.

The butchery owner is being taken to court by two Chandler residents who want his collection of about 30 colourful and exotic birds gone from a partially converted tennis court on his land in an upmarket southside street.

Mr Do first ran afoul of his new neighbours in January when he moved his family and pets - including large macaws, parrots and and cockatoos - to the property from another part of the suburb.

Residents claim in court documents the noise generated by the creatures is keeping them from sleeping and affecting their ability to work from home and entertain company.

They also argue the birds' presence has caused a "poultry farm-like odour" and say they have noticed more rodents and vermin on their land.

Mr Do told The Courier-Mail amassing the impressive "hobby" collection had been the realisation of a childhood dream, held long before he moved to Australia from Vietnam in the 1990s.

"Some people have their cars, I have my birds," he said.

"When you're a kid you start off with something like a bush budgie and then to this."

He added he had kept the pets without incident at his previous residence in Chandler and that he held a relevant Recreational Wildlife Licence.

He said he planned to fight the application without the assistance of a lawyer and that he had already sold some of the animals as a result of the complaints from his new neighbours.

"I don't think I'm doing anything wrong," he said.

"I don't know what the court will say. They might tell me to get rid of everything."

Mr Do's wife Kim Dao said the legal action was disappointing because the couple had moved to the new property largely to provide more of a "rainforest" environment for the animals.

"It's just a passion. We're not making money out of it," she said.

"We lose money because we have to buy food, vegies - it's very high maintenance."

"We're not criminals, we just love birds that's all it is, and if we can't win the case, the worst scenario is to sell (the birds), or take the aviaries down."

The couple's neighbours also claim the conversion of the tennis court to bird enclosures is an "assessable development" and requires a development permit.

Photos available on 'Courier Mail' website . . all birds pictured are in top condition and in beautiful feather . . aviaries look good as well

Who'd live in a city?? :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/quee ... 6618558886

Not trying to upstage you Sam, but your link did not work for me
Last edited by arthur on 12 Apr 2013, 14:43, edited 2 times in total.
SamDavis

Took me a while to find the original story so here's a link
I wonder if the ABA can help him out?
arthur

But it does now . . . senile decrepitude?????

Return to “Parrots”