Pied genetics in the humble ruddy

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
elferoz777

Hi guys

I am trying to work out the inheritance pattern for the pied genes in ruddys.

As you can tell I am no genetic engineer.

I understand how it is passed in budgies but this does not seem to translate into my results on the ruddies...unless I dont have a dominant pied.

Can some one break it down for me?

I have 2 pied roosters and a pied hen plus 2 normal hens and one normal rooster.

Ideally I am going to breed pied with pied then back to normal to have splits though I am not sure if that how it goes.
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
Tiaris

It is autosomal recessive. Your last sentence is correct.
SamDavis

Steve, I think you got some normals from me??? If so then then they are likely to be splits. I only have a single ruddy pair bought for my young son in the hope he'd find finches less boring. They are both normal but throw pieds hence both parents are splits and 2/3 normal offspring will also be splits.
elferoz777

Hi Sam

From that rooster you gave me I have only thrown normal birds.

He was paired to a pied hen. Admittedly the hen only had the white feathers in her wings which is why I posted this topic.

The rooster you gave me must be normal in this case.

Hopefully with the little colony I have now of pieds, split pieds and normal I will be able to develop some nice pied ruddies.

I want to improve the mutation if possible. This will be my first deliberate attempt to line breed with a specific purpose so I am pumped. I am going to ready the cabinets for spring time so I can control the process better.
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”