diamond sparrows and bickering

An area to discuss new and established colour mutations.
wildbill

in one aviary i've got a small colony of diamond sparrows - about 20 to 25 birds in total. all are fawn pied splits or pieds. looks like they have came onto serious breeding condition when the overnight temperature dropped below zero about 6 weeks back.
at the moment i have 3 different nests with young. one lot are straight pied parents so nothing new there.
the other two nests are the dark horses. by the squarking from the feeding frenzy these are about 2 weeks old and pretty noisy.
i plan to split all these up in another 3 weeks. few of the fawn pied splits are sold and i want to try single pair breeding per aviary or two pairs per section at the most.
i'd have to say diamonds for me have been the easiest of all to breed. don't know if its due to the cold climate or just a bit of luck but providing you have a pair ( first lot of 4 i bought were all cocks) you have a very good chance of breeding.
some hens fool about a bit but i have had them on eggs and young from 7 months. these were birds who hooked themselves up.
seeing it was smack in the centre of winter when the eggs were laid i plan to ring all young and get them dna sexed. reason behind this i have read that young bred in the winter months - the majority will be hens and visa vera for the summer period.
so i will see if this is the case. but without getting too far ahead of my plan i'd better wait till they fledge. :lol:
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Good luck with the weather inspired sexing of young. Hope it holds true for you.
LML
LML
Tiaris

20 to 25 birds sounds like a fair sized colony to me.

Return to “Mutation Finches”