Feather Plucking: Physical, Evnvironmental & Emotion Factors

findi

Hi All,
Feather plucking (and other forms of self-mutation) is one of the most common concerns raised by parrot owners. I’ve encountered the problem among zoo birds as well. Despite being well-studied, feather plucking remains difficult to both prevent and cure. Our understanding is complicated by the fact that feather plucking can be caused by widely-differing physical or emotional ailments. But some general rules and patterns have emerged. I’ll review these below…please be sure to post your own observations, as we still have much to learn. Read article here http://bit.ly/13kRY7x
Please also check out my posts on Twitter http://bit.ly/13pzqCu and Face Book http://on.fb.me/KckP1m

Thanks, Frank
My Bio, with photos of animals I’ve been lucky enough to work with http://bitly.com/LC8Lbp
Myzomela

That's quite a good summary Frank- well done.
Funnily enough, I'm giving a presentation tomorrow at a Parrot Workshop here in Sydney with Australian parrot behaviourist Jim McKendry.

In my experience, the most common causes presented to me are either reproductive or else psychological due to management issues eg separation anxiety and isolation.

As you say, the causes are usually multifactorial and a combination of factors are usually involved. However, it basically reflects a bird which is not coping with how it is being kept. There aren't too many plucked birds in the wild- they're too busy finding food, mates, maintaining their social position within a flock and avoiding predators. Most of these issues are taken away in captivity.

Feather Plucking is now usually referred to as "Feather Destructive Behaviour"
This is quite separate from "self mutilation"- where birds actually chew through the skin and cause wounds to themselves.

Thanks for the post
Research; evaluate;observe;act
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

educate the human .
get it into their heads they are taking on a long living animal that has the emotional IQ of a 4 year old .
make the bird think and work for its food ( forage ) change toys every few days and stimulate the brain .

results will be less pluckers > too easy :thumbup:
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
findi

Myzomela wrote:That's quite a good summary Frank- well done.
Funnily enough, I'm giving a presentation tomorrow at a Parrot Workshop here in Sydney with Australian parrot behaviourist Jim McKendry.

In my experience, the most common causes presented to me are either reproductive or else psychological due to management issues eg separation anxiety and isolation.

As you say, the causes are usually multifactorial and a combination of factors are usually involved. However, it basically reflects a bird which is not coping with how it is being kept. There aren't too many plucked birds in the wild- they're too busy finding food, mates, maintaining their social position within a flock and avoiding predators. Most of these issues are taken away in captivity.

Feather Plucking is now usually referred to as "Feather Destructive Behaviour"
This is quite separate from "self mutilation"- where birds actually chew through the skin and cause wounds to themselves.

Thanks for the post
Thanks...much appreciated. Good luck with your presentation, Frank
Myzomela

Thanks Frank.

Just got back from the behaviour workshop. We had 50 participants who enjoyed the day & Jim's presentation.

Deb is spot on- keep them stimulated & occupied.
Research; evaluate;observe;act

Return to “Parrots”