Breeding Greenfinches

For questions about any species that doesn't have it's own area and for general information on foreign birds.
bird dog

Hi Guys I am looking for some info in relation to getting my greenfinches in the mood. I have had these birds for 2 seasons now they are in a mixed aviary with a selection of finches and canaries. Nest pans have been positioned in tea tree high in the aviary I have been feeding them an assortment of food soaked safflower small sunflower along with the dandelion heads on a daily basis. When I purchased these birds I was informed that they were aviary bred birds but my gut feeling is that they are wild birds (very flighty even more so than my goldfinches).All info would be greatly received. Failing that is there any body out there that has experience in breeding the European birds in Australia. I would love to hear of any tips etc.
E Orix

I have been breeding greenfinches in my big aviary for many years now.
I have no idea how many generation but I do add new cockbirds in every couple of years though.
They are all still flighty and don't really like nest inspection.
Up to a few years ago I had 3 large Golden Cypress growing inside the aviary and the Greenfinches were prolific breeders using the trees totally.
Since the trees were cut down my results have not been as good but they produce several nests each season still.
They generally tuck their nest well out of site normally high up in the dry brush. Generally the stimulus is me putting a large piece of Cotton Wool fixed somewhere in the aviary and they tear at it and carry it to make their nest.
I give them nothing extra but I stress again they like privacy.
bird dog

So do you offer them multiple nest site also? So do you put the nest pan in the scrub. That's what I have done, attached the nest pans to the mesh and then laid tea tree scrub over the nest pan. Do you have more than one pair breeding in the aviary? By the sounds of it you would have. Many thanks for the info by the way

Return to “Non Specific Questions”