PC eggs gone!

flap

Hi everyone
we had a clutch of 5 eggs due to hatch any day. Yesterday or day before when I checked they were all there. Just checked now, no eggs, no chicks... after digging around in wood shavings, found a couple of bits of egg shells, one egg with a little hole in it, no other eggs or chicks, and two large cockroaches. Didn't see obvious rat or mice droppings, but what i think were cockroach droppings underneath the nest box. We want to work out what happen to prevent a repeat of it. Those with more experience, can you suggest what might have happened. We have small mesh (but not the mouse proof one) and some gaps in aviary corners that had been blocked with silicone. Will need to inspect closely to identify point of entry if possible. We were so looking forward to the first clutch. Not holding much hope for the remaining egg as not sure mum is still sitting. :-(
flaP
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I would have a guess at mice....they will eat newly hatched young... :think:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
arthur

Some lorikeets can be egg eaters, but that usually happens soon after the eggs have been laid; not towards the end of the incubation
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Assuming they behave like budgies. If they decide the eggs are duds and have not hatched by the due date (in their estimation not yours) some birds will toss them. Have you checked outside the nest on the floor? When/if they toss them they sometime break them in the process, which can attract roaches/ants to eat the leavings. Just a possability. Which would mean they are thinking of having another go.
LML
LML
flap

Thanks Arthur and FB. I think they did toss the very last one left, as unlike the others, I found that one on the floor and it was a bigger piece of shell than the others. I have taken the nest box out so we can give the aviary a clean with the hose, try and reduce vermin access and put a couple of mouse traps in. Then we will replace the nest and let them have another go.
flaP

Return to “Parrots”