Canary Breeding Season 2013

finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Have only seen 1 chick so far and it vanished after about 4 days. Now have the 3 hens in the main avairy down, but nothing happening with the pair in the 2nd avairy. Did do a total rearrange though.
LML
LML
Canary

I currently have 65 chicks from 16 hens, with a further 4 hens due shortly. 48 Border chicks and 18 Lizard chicks.

The late start has certainly improved fertility and most hens went to nest within 4 days. I still had 3 clear nests - one where a cock was sick and not interested, however, one was a lIzard canary cock that has never missed before.

Overall a pretty good start. Now keeping up the egg food and sprouted seed.
elferoz777

I am expecting my first lot of Lizard young.

I have two pairs courtesy of Canary.

The keenest pair failed the first nest but the second nest looks like it will have 3 from 3 eggs hatch....they are due this weekend.

The other pair only recently started some serious nest building. I am expecting the fist egg this weekend.
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Finally have small chicks appearing in the main avairy after that early failed nest. Was begginning to think they weren't going to settle into it.
LML
LML
Canary

Elferoz

When did you put your Lizards together? I am interested to know if you went early or not.

I have a few friends that went early this year.

One at Wollongong who said he paired his birds on 1/9/13 ended up with 70 clear eggs out of 90 eggs in the first round. Most now have laid the second round and have been fertile.

I was talking to someone else at Merrylands yesterday and he also said he paired up on 1/9/13 and had almost the same result. Now has around 70 chicks.

I usually don't pair my birds until 15/9 and that extra 2 weeks does make a huge difference in my bird room. As you have seen on this forum, some people with light and heat are able to get their birds in breeding condition a lot earlier.

Good luck with the canaries.
wagga

A friend in Port Macquarie has informed me that most of his canaries are on their 3rd nest for the season. One prolific pair is on their 3rd nest with 6 chicks and previously had clutches of 4 and 5.
Life in Port Macquarie is the ultimate Aussie sea change lifestyle.
branchez

As far as cup nesters go just checked my pair of Yellow Hooded Siskins to find 4 newly hatched young with full crops,fingers crossed.
Jack
Canary

I ended up with 146 chicks from the 2013 breeding season - 107 border canaries from 20 hens and 39 Lizards from 4 hens. Most of the Borders had 2 nests and I let 2 Lizard hens have a 3rd nest.

It is well into the moult at the moment, with feathers all over the floor every afternoon.

A few of the early chicks are well advanced and I have selected 3 Borders and 1 Lizard that look promising to start their show cage training. Most of the canaries will not be through the moult for another 2 to 3 weeks, so it is early days yet.

My first show for 2014 will be at Canberra on 13 April followed by shows almost every weekend for 11 weeks until early July.
wagga

Update on friends birds for 2013. 71 chicks from the 8 pairs of border canaries all bred in cabinets. He admitted that a lot of his pairs had to be stopped from starting their 4th nest, If I had not seen his birds through out the season you would probably not believe this breeding results of 71 canaries on perch.
Life in Port Macquarie is the ultimate Aussie sea change lifestyle.

Return to “Canaries”