Novice at Canaries

lyn2233

Hi, I have mainly finches in a 10mtr long aviary and had a female canary so decided to get a male canary each one I bought turned out a female. Finally got a male and all the females now have babies in each nest. My question will they stop breeding as I really only wanted a pair but now ending up with lots of canaries. Will I have to take the babies out when they start feeding them selves. Will I have to take the male out I saw him mating again with a hen who's babies have just left the nest. Any advice would be helpful. : :thumbup:
Canary

They will keep breeding for a few months yet if you allow them. I would be taking the male out of the aviary now.

If the male is out of the aviary then you should not have to remove the chicks. Some hens do peck the chick or pull feathers when they are going back to nest.

If any of the hens make a new nest and lay eggs, then I would be removing the eggs, if you are happy with the number of chicks you now have.

Keep feeding the chicks egg food and soaked/sprouted seed for at least 1 month after they have left the nest to give them a chance to get used to hard seed.
lyn2233

Thanks for your advice, will take all that on board and put the male in a large wheely cage. :thumbup:

Return to “Canaries”