Around a Kenmore camphor laurel

GregH

Yesterday I went green-seed collecting while my daughter was at her violin lesson in Kenmore (Brisbane) and was delighted to see my first wild finches within the city - some red-brows which I hope didn't mind sharing their Panicum, Settaria & Sorghum with me. While foraging I also managed to flush a red-backed wren while bashing about in the 3m high grass which confused me at first as I thought it was a another red-brow. I was also delighted to see some other avian wonders feeding in a big camphor laurel tree (a much maligned species): fig birds, wampoo pigeons, sulphur crested cockatoos and what must be an unusual outlier or more likely an aviary escapee a male eclectus parrot! You can do quite a lot in 45minutes if you're at the right spot at the right time.
matcho

Gregh,

Had a similar experience yesterday. Went and collected t tree not 5 minutes from Sydney International Airport. Blue wrens, Red Browed Finches, Spice finches, Silvereyes, Musk Ducks, Coots, Bitterns all there and even a twitcher with the worlds largest camera. Came home ,put the brush in, took the dogs for a walk and when I got home heard a different noise to the Rainbow Lorikeets which are infesting my back deck because of the grapes growing there. Looks up and there I have at least 20 musk lorikeets just over my head feeding in the bottlebrush. Have never seen them up close and personal like this, 1 to 2 metres away in Leichhardt, not 5 minutes away from the centre of the biggest city in Oz. Have a resident flock of Crested Pigeons in my backyard that waits each morning for me to toss out the replaced soaked/sprouted seed. Nothing ceases to amaze me.

Ken.
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

matcho wrote:Had a similar experience yesterday. Went and collected t tree not 5 minutes from Sydney International Airport. Blue wrens, Red Browed Finches, Spice finches, Silvereyes, Musk Ducks, Coots, Bitterns all there and even a twitcher with the worlds largest camera.
Hey Ken,
Are you sure they were Musk Ducks and Bitterns? Those are quite unusual species for Sydney, and I have a few friends who'd be very keen to go chasing them!
Thanks,
J
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/

Return to “Parrots”