caique genetics

Denozo

I told my friend to ask some more questions and now all of a sudden he is not getting any answer or a reply. They aren't bad are they?
Myzomela

finchbreeder wrote:Why does everyone keep forgetting about the origin of mutations? Spontanious mutation. So this bird could exist. Highly unlikely. But so is winning lotto and it happens. Would like to see a pic. Particularly if I was the guy considering buying the bird, but then I would want to see a dozen different pics.
LML
FB for an albino to occur you would require "spontaneous mutation" to occur at 2 loci on different chromosomes at the same time- a little more than highly unlikely I reckon.

I agree totally re requesting photographic proof and yes I would insist on seeing the bird before purchasing it.

And from Denozo's comments it appears as if not everything is kosher.
Research; evaluate;observe;act
arthur

[quote="Myzomela"] for an albino to occur you would require "spontaneous mutation" to occur at 2 loci on different chromosomes at the same time- a little more than highly unlikely [quote]

About the same odds as Immaculate Conception
Rosco

Bit off topic so excuse me, but.......I was recently given a copy of Richard Dawkins "The Ancestors tale". Three quarts the way through, I realised I can't understand genetics. The mechanics elude me. My mechanics have failed me once again. Don't have the cast of mind that can make head nor tail of it.

I want to start breeding birds so I need a working/rudimentary knowledge of it. Can anyone here kindly point me to a book/link for the genetically challenged amongst us please?

:wtf:
E Orix

Rosco
After nearly 50 years of breeding birds I have little if any knowledge of Genetics(by choice)
I have survived and bred a few birds over the years so don't worry, you can succeed.
To go into Genetics is a choice not a mandate.
E Orix
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Rossco if you read the past newsletters, there are "Genetic snippetts" in them that explain some of what you want to know in fairly easily understood language. Maybe these will even get reprinted through the next couple of months?
LML
LML
Diane

I can do that. :thumbup:
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
Rosco

Good o! Cheers Diane and blokes.

Spose as I get into it, hands on, it will make more sense. I'd be proud as punch if I could one day make any sense out of this thread.

:)
Diane

I found learning the basics of genetics was far easier when I had access to a genetic forecaster. If you type genetic forecaster in the search bar there is a load of pages with different reference and links I found on the net to various forecasters. From zebra finches to gouldians, budgies, lovebirds to some parrots.
I will put the whole series of "Genetic Snippets" in this coming newsletter.
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits

Return to “Parrots”