Genetics is so awesome!!- UPDATE on light Star!! Mar 14

An area to discuss new and established colour mutations.
kimberley breeder

So this is my first year of dabbling in Gouldian Mutations after spending 5 years successfully breeding pure/normal Gouldians. I am finding it all very facinating!! I have a lovely SF YH Cockbird and a pure YH Hen (obtained from the Save the Gouldian research facility) and their first clutch this year has 4 babies- all look to be different colours!! Yellow, SF and 2 normal looking ones with slightly differnet tinges of green! I plugged it into the genetic forcaster and sure enough a yellow hen was possible from this pairing (I was more worried my YH Hen was in fact not pure..) I studied genetics at University and it just amazes me!!. I have 2 star pairs which fledged young a month ago and both pairs look "normal". 1 pair fledged 3 normal looking fledglings and the other pair fledged 3 that are different colours! 1 normal looking colour one fawning coloured one and a silver one which looks more like the colouring of a young Diamond! I now know which pair produce the 3 of different colours so Ill sell on any young from them split to fawn or cinnamon?

I have taken a few pics but Id like to get some better ones of the Stars when I can get someone else to take the photo and I can hold the birds better for comparison!

Can anyone tell me how to distiguish between the fawn and cinammon Star mutations?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by kimberley breeder on 28 Mar 2014, 11:23, edited 1 time in total.
mattymeischke

Hi KB,
Tiaris gave a good description here:
http://www.aussiefinchforum.net/viewtop ... 0&start=40

I think that light red tail is beautiful, and the subtle yellow body colour when in the sun is nice, too.
Avid amateur aviculturalist; I keep mostly australian and foreign finches.
The art is long, the life so short; the critical moment is fleeting and experience can be misleading, crisis is difficult....... (Hippocrates)
kimberley breeder

Excellent- LOL- I should have gone back to see if there were further comment after I added my comments-forgot I had even posted it!! Be interesting to see how mine moult out! Ill get more pics as time goes on!
finches247
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Congrats on the young ones They look very healthy Nice Gouldians :thumbup: :clap:
neshem

love the stars! please post their pics when they after their molt,want to see their adult color :) thanks.
kimberley breeder

Hey all- remember my light coloured star fledgling from last year. Refer to pics above. Well it's turned out to be a hen and quite beautiful actually!!! I've tried to capture the colour of her but proving difficult as she's so active!!

She came from a pair normal in appearance. I have had fawn/ cinnamon s and yellow faced stars come from my 2 pairs! This little hen has been different from the 2 dozen odd birds bred in the last 12 months...

Could she be a yellow bodied hen???
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Craig52

Nice looking bird but i haven't had much to do with star mutations,i think you go by the colour of the tail for fawn or cinnamon but not sure for yellow body.Tiaris will know. Cheers Craig
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

She's a very pretty bird is all I can say.
LML
LML
Tiaris

Been on holidays so just catching up. Yes, I'd say she's a cinnamon fawn hen especially given your mix of birds.

Return to “Mutation Finches”