Moulting chooks

Redwing

Hope someone can help, I've got 3 Isa Brown hens and 2 of them have been moulting for weeks now, starting to look scruffy and no sign of new feathers coming. They all lay every day and one of them (not sure which) lays an enormous egg each day. They get the Isa Brown pellets as well as vegie scraps and silver beet and Bok Choy. Is there anything else I can give them or do to help? The 3rd one looks fine, so not sure what's happening to the others.
Craig52

Most chooks stop laying when moulting so there's more of a problem with plucking imo.You may need to feed some sort of protein,keep an eye on them if it is plucking as if it goes to far as to draw blood you may have to trim their beaks.
On the other hand they might be lousey with lice/mites,give them a good dose of moxy or buy a lice/mite spray for chooks. Craig
Pete Sara
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

just check if you give them moxy before you do it, I know they don't recommend ivermectin as they are for food produce. pete
Redwing

I actually don't think they've got mites, otherwise all 3 would look the same, but did see one of them today having a bit of a peck at one of them around her neck where there are some signs of new feathers. Have seen no signs of increased scratching or discomfort, but they are all laying every day. The Isa Brown pellets have the highest protein % that I can buy.

Return to “Poultry & Game Birds”