Antipodes Island Parrakeet

GregH

Seeing this birds makes me wonder if it could in time be introduced to Macquarie island which would help safeguard the population from the Antipodes and rehabilitate Macquarie island's ecosystem. It's been 12 years since the cats disappeared from Macquarie Is, however this led to a dramatic surge in rabbit numbers which mowed the endemic grass tussocks to the ground. The resulting exposure was devastating for the remaining endemic birds; exposing penguins and other birds to high levels of skua predation and severe soil erosion directly affected suitable nesting burrow sites. Hopefully in time the grass tussocks will re-establish and perhaps then the New Zealand authorities might work with the Aussies to establish a population of the ecological equivalent of Macquarie Island's lost parakeet. Of course the Aussies have had the dance to do this with the extinct Lord Howe Is Kakariki but they've never done it even though similar birds are found on Norfolk Is. I'm sure New Zealand aviculturists could help if they don't have PBFD in their aviaries!
mickw

GregH wrote:Seeing this birds makes me wonder if it could in time be introduced to Macquarie island which would help safeguard the population from the Antipodes and rehabilitate Macquarie island's ecosystem. It's been 12 years since the cats disappeared from Macquarie Is, however this led to a dramatic surge in rabbit numbers which mowed the endemic grass tussocks to the ground. The resulting exposure was devastating for the remaining endemic birds; exposing penguins and other birds to high levels of skua predation and severe soil erosion directly affected suitable nesting burrow sites. Hopefully in time the grass tussocks will re-establish and perhaps then the New Zealand authorities might work with the Aussies to establish a population of the ecological equivalent of Macquarie Island's lost parakeet. Of course the Aussies have had the dance to do this with the extinct Lord Howe Is Kakariki but they've never done it even though similar birds are found on Norfolk Is. I'm sure New Zealand aviculturists could help if they don't have PBFD in their aviaries!
Henry's bros could start training them up to hunt rabbits!
GregH

I think the last of the rabbits went last year so hopefully things are on the mend.
GregH

Well the day is getting closer to (re)introduce a sub-arctic parrot since it's been declared "Macquarie Island declared pest free after 7-year eradication program" as reported on the on the ABC today (7/4/14). No more cats, rats, rabbits or even mice!
Rosco

Good o.

Though it came at a cost. This from the news in 2010 - "A total of 431 birds were killed by the bait. The species included kelp gulls, giant petrels, black ducks and skuas." Long term prospects would make the exercise worthwhile.

I saw one of the kiwi eradicators on telly. Had the full hooded parka and short shorts. Skinny pink and blue knobbly legs poking out in the blistering artic blasts that only a mother could love. ....they breed em tough over there.

Return to “Parrots”