Help with mutation zebras please!

An area to discuss new and established colour mutations.
danischi24

I bought a flock of zebras a few months ago, but now I want to cut down to the three most valuable pairs cause they are eating me out of house and home! I don't know much about zebra mutations & their value in Australia as I'm new here. I also don't know how to sex many of the colours or the names of the colours. Please help this newbie to zebras! Also, one little guy in the 2nd & 3rd photos is white with darker wings, what's he? I'm sure there are many knoweledgable people on this forum willing to help someone who skipped zebbies on their way through their bird-keeping career.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
iva

Hi I am new here too.Learning as well. I think male have red beaks and female beaks are more orange.
Hope that helps. Iva
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Males have orange cheek patches, females do not.
LML
LML
Craig52

finchbreeder wrote:Males have orange cheek patches, females do not.
LML
Not always FB,especially with the white one,i would say it is a male. Cheers Craig
bjc787

the colours you have are all worth the same amount.
i will give you the colours i can see in each pick from left to right

1. charcoal cock, charcoal cock, fawn hen, charcoal hen

2. white cock (hard to tell from pic with whites it goes on the colour of the beak, red in cocks orange in hens), fawn hen, charcoal cock, black face cock (cant tell what colour from pic but it is not grey, possibly fawn or slate), then the last 2 fawn hen, charcoal cock

3. charcoal cock, white cock (hard to tell from pic with whites it goes on the colour of the beak, red in cocks orange in hens), black face cock (cant tell what colour from pic but it is not grey, possibly fawn or slate)

4. charcoal cock, chestnut flanked white cock, charcoal pied cock, charcoal cock

5. charcoal cock, charcoal pied cock, white hen (in nest), then the last 3 fawn charcoal hen, chestnut flanked white cock, fawn hen

6. charcoal cock (cant tell what colour from pic but it is not grey, possibly fawn or slate), charcoal cock, fawn charcoal hen, fawn pied hen

7. charcoal cock, charcoal pied cock, charcoal pied hen (possibly cock have to check t see if you can see any orange flank feathers), white hen (in nest)(hard to tell from pic with whites it goes on the colour of the beak, red in cocks orange in hens), fawn pied hen (n top of nest)

8. charcoal fawn hen, charcoal pied cock, charcoal cock, white hen (in nest)(hard to tell from pic with whites it goes on the colour of the beak, red in cocks orange in hens), fawn pied hen (top of nest), charcoal cock (top of nest)(cant tell what colour from pic but it is not grey, possibly fawn or slate), last bird charcoal cock

hope that helps, it is the best i can tell from the pics
TomDeGraaff

Well, I might have a go at some of these.

Photo 1: 2 charcoal cocks, a fawn hen (something funny about her, too much white up front?), fawn charcoal hen.
Photo 2: fawn pied cock, fawn hen, charcoal cock, black-fronted cock, dunno, dunno, dunno, charcoal cock.
Photo 3: charcoal cock, fawn pied cock, black-fronted (not happy!!) cock. Charcoal cock flying.
Photo 4: all cocks: charcoal, BEAUTIFUL! my GUESS: fawn marked white black-fronted :purplex: ,pied charcoal, charcoal.
Photo 5: already covered( except for the head of a white cock).
Photo 6: Duuno, fawn hen, charcoal cock, charcoal fawn hen, blur. fawn pied (hen?).
Photo 7: charcoal, pied charcoal, pied black-fromted all cocks. The bird in the top right corner is interesting. Could it be a hen fawn penguin? Nah ! Fawn pied hen like the one to its left.
Photo 8:fawn hen, charcoal pied cock, charcoal cock, white cock in nest, fawn pied hen, charcoal cock, fawn pied hen on top, dunno, dunno, dunno, charcoal cock.
By way of shameless excuses, I have trouble with beak colour when comparing a breeding conditioned hen and a cock out of condition sometimes. Especially with those mutations that do not give me plumage clues.
Well, that was fun but I don't know how helpful!!!
Tom

Return to “Mutation Finches”