Nest Boxes

pafc64

Hi
What size & shape nest boxes are people using for birds like Slatey-Heads & Princess Parrots.
Pictures would be great or better still plans & materials used etc .

Cheers :thumbup:
Rick
Painted4

My boxes for my Plum headed parrots are 200mm square x 450mm-650mm high...Judging from what i've read, a Slatey Headed nestbox would be the same size. Princess i'll have to measure up today, as i'm not 100% on the size.
Materials wise, I use Particle Board from Bunnings. Cheap and sturdy...I keep Plum Headed Parrots and they are fine with nest boxes built out of this. My brothers Princess parrots have raised many a clutch in them too.
Hope that helps, Painted4
pafc64

Cheers thanks yep that gives me a bit better idea ,although dont the Plum heads chew the particle board ?
I made one from particle board years ago when I had Princess & she chewed it to bits in no time ,I was thinking maybe 15mm plyboard this time .

Cheers
Rick
Painted4

pafc64 wrote:Cheers thanks yep that gives me a bit better idea ,although dont the Plum heads chew the particle board ?
I made one from particle board years ago when I had Princess & she chewed it to bits in no time ,I was thinking maybe 15mm plyboard this time .

Cheers
Rick
So far, no...I'd say it depends on the bird. Our Princess boxes have been in with them for 5+ years, and they haven't touched them in regards to chewing, the Plumheads have an old tree stump in their aviary, and they seem to chew that to pieces, and leave the nest box alone.
Plyboard would work fine though, I would assume.
Denozo

I used a plywood nestbox for one season with my plumheads and although the hen had access to chew blocks while she was sitting she still managed to make herself a new entrance hole in the end.
I ended up using the hardest wood I could find at the time. She still had a decent crack at this.

Return to “Parrots”