Slatey-head Parrots

pafc64

Hi
Heres my latest pair of birds Slatey-Head Parrots ,
I really like these birds they arent to noisy & I love that long tail ,plus they are just a handsome looking bird I think 8-)

Cheers :thumbup:
Rick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
finches247
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Very Nice Parrots :thumbup:
Diane

I know absolutly nothing about parrots apart from they can bite...hard.
But is the cock bird at the top? Im basing my identification on what I call the "softness" in the eye area.
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
sdegiorgio

Diane wrote:I know absolutly nothing about parrots apart from they can bite...hard.
But is the cock bird at the top? Im basing my identification on what I call the "softness" in the eye area.
The cock bird is actually identified by the small red markings on the wings. I think the cock bird is at the top in the picture. You can see a darker marking on the wing, but it doesn't really look red in that picture. The red markings do not appear until they are about 24-30 months old, so it can be difficult to visually sex the birds until the reach maturity.

They do bite!!! I have a hand-raised one of these. She was hand-raised by me but she still bites - very territorial (protective of her cage). She is only seven months old but every time I put my hand in there I end up with two or three holes in my hand. Having said that she is the most beautiful bird and I would not part with her for anything. Dare I say that we know that this bird is a hen because of her behaviour!!! :lol:
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. - Martin Luther King Jr.
sdegiorgio

pafc64 wrote:Hi
Heres my latest pair of birds Slatey-Head Parrots ,
I really like these birds they arent to noisy & I love that long tail ,plus they are just a handsome looking bird I think 8-)

Cheers :thumbup:
Rick
Great looking birds Rick.

I love these birds. They look terrible during the molting period (as do all Asiatics) but absolutely beautiful at all other times of the year. :thumbup:
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. - Martin Luther King Jr.
pafc64

Hi
Yep thats the Cock bird at the top & they are only around 20 months old & his red patches are only just visible ,plus his tail is allot longer than the hen bird ,both birds look a bit worse for wear at the moment as they came out of a cage with around another 12 young ones & apparently they get a bit argy bargy with each other around fruit time lol ,anyway they are both enjoying themselfs in their new cage & getting real frisky at dawn & dusk :thumbup:

Cheers
Rick
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Beautiful birds. I have to admit, I prefer the stronger colors of the Plum-head Parrots; but these are nice too!
Myzomela

Great buy Rick

You will also notice that the hen's beak is slightly paler and looks more chalky.

This is an underappreciated species but as you say it is their elegant proportions, tight smooth feathering and subtlety of colour that make them so attractive.

I would suggest you try to breed them if you can as I believe that this is one of those species whose numbers are dropping and nobody seems to be doing anything about it.

Good luck with them & enjoy them!
Research; evaluate;observe;act
pafc64

Hi
Yep Ill be breeding them if they play the game & have to agree they do look a far neater bird ,
Ive never really been into the real gawdy parrots even when I used to keep Noephemas I preferred the Elegants to Scarlet's or Turqs.

Cheers
Rick

Return to “Parrots”