What do I do now? still sick

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
PaigeLouise1

Hi guys,

I have posted a few things about my finches being sick with (suspected/self diagnosed) air sac mites. Two of my finches were breathing heavy with a scratchy clicky sound when they breathed.

I moved them away and after MUCH running around got some moxidectin plus and treated all birds. I repeated the treatment after three weeks as recommended. I was then worried they were sick again as they all seemed sleepy all the time. I think maybe this might have been from moxidectin though (anyone else had same thing?) cause when i stopped the treatment they livened up lots.

Anyway a week later and the original sick female finch was not looking so flash so i moved her by herself. Now the males in the other cage seem to be sick! At a bit of loss as to what do now.

I wanted to get vet to check them out but nearest avian vet is two hour drive away and I know ill cop some abuse but i just cant afford the $88 (per bird) consulation fee + the $28 per gram slide? (poo check)

Anyway i know its near impossible for anyone to help me as they cant see the birds but just wondering if maybe it takes the birds a little while to recover from moxidectin treatment? And also do I worm them with anything else to kill other worms or is that overkill?

Sorry for long story- any advice appreciated!
gomer

unless you live in a big city it can be hard to get to a good avian vet,four to five hours for me.So i know how you feel.I would defiantly not worm with anything else for somtime.As the moxidectin takes a while to leave the birds system,and should kill all internal and external parasites.like gape worm etc.I personally have had no more side effects from moxi than any other worm treatment.

Is it defiantly air sac mites ? Maybe if its not that it could be gape worms or some type of megabacteria,Would it be posible to send a gram slide only to your vet,from your worst infected bird?

Anyway you can only do what you can do,And your seeking advice here,So you wont get any abuse from me.good luck with them Louise.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
Diane

I think Gomers ideas are excellent.
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Follow Gomers advice and accept that what you have done so far was good. And as for the vet, we have a local guy who is willing to learn and is slowly doing so, or can send 500kms to Murdoch Uni vets who are top stuff. But yes, it can be a case of weighing up the cost of the vet with the cost of the birds and deciding what your budget allows. And stiff if I get criticism for that comment, I'm a realist, not everyone has an endless budget.
Only suggestion I would make is replace or clean all your perches, cut new ones from your fruit or native trees, it is cheaper and healthyer.
LML
LML

Return to “Finch Health”