Silver Gouldian or Pastel.

Includes Species Profile.
Blue Cuban

Paul that is a very different perspective and its always good to hear another view.

IMO the fact that the hen influences the out come of any cock to me clearly establishes it is a single factor and cock birds are only ever a single factor to 1 colour (mutation) but still carries 2 factors.

Rich.
Hobby finch Keeper
gouldianpaul

Blue Cuban wrote:Paul that is a very different perspective and its always good to hear another view.

IMO the fact that the hen influences the out come of any cock to me clearly establishes it is a single factor and cock birds are only ever a single factor to 1 colour (mutation) but still carries 2 factors.

Rich.
Hi Rich,

I have to disagree with your point on cock only carries a single factor, but still carries 2 factors. I am not a genetics expert so maybe the thoughts of those who know more about genetics would be good at this point, but the cock can either be single or double factor. IMO that has been the general rule most breeders have gone by. I recall reading an article in ABK 15+ years ago (so maybe the accuracy of that article can now be questioned given we know more about Gouldian genetics today) but I do recall the author stating that the hen is either YB or not....she is not single factor.

As I stated in my earlier post it really doesn't matter who is correct or not, so long as the terminology used is understood by buyer/seller.

Cheers
Paul
Tiaris

The hen cannot be double-factor so I guess its correct to say she is either YB or not, but her carriage of the mutation is still definitely as a single-factor dominant gene. Same as mating a single-factor cock to a normal where they generally produce SF hens & normal cocks. SF hens mated to normal cock normally produces SF cocks & normal hens. Only the double-factor cocks mated to normal hens can produce YB progeny in both sexes (as you know). So both statements are true: ie. YB hens are either YB or not; and hens are single-factor YB.
Blue Cuban

I'm with you Paul, it's the terminology that needs to be standardised.

Rich.
Hobby finch Keeper

Return to “Gouldian”