Abandoning the nest

Includes Species Profile
Crooky386

This is my second lot of young from these bfpf parents, the first lot of young got to about two weeks old in the nest, then the pair abandoned that nest and started making a new one, and the babies then died. Today I noticed the cock bird rebuilding the original nest, with the female very interested, and he's been chasing her around like he's wanting to mate again. In their current nest, the second one that was built, there is young in there approximately two weeks old. Can I expect the same fate for them as the original babies had?
Lachlan1

It really depends on the pair but I find it is much more common for them to abandon the nest if they are a young pair. When they are breeding they eat like there's not tomorrow so make sure there's always something for them to nibble on (besides the basics). I try to give mine an early morning feed (sprouted seeds, mealworms, lebanese cucumber) and then a feed of kale and seed grass in the afternoon. I also find mine hate disturbances so try and keep them to an absolute minimum during breeding periods. Once you get a good pair but you'll have more of a problem of getting them to stop rather than start. Good luck mate!
Crooky386

Thanks for your reply, I do try and and keep a good variety of food, they are a young pair and do seem pretty keen to breed, hopefully they will mature and raise their babies till they leave the nest, and not just abandon the chicks that they have just it try to breed more.
escapin

Ive got the same problem.. but they bail on the eggs after about 7-10days.. pretty frustrating. If they weren't such great birds to watch I'd be putting them on gumtree.
Tiaris

I'd take the cock out & let the hen finish off the young which she should do no problem if they have plenty of good tucker. When the young are independent re-introduce the cock. Some males are just super keen to keep getting their rocks off so continually try to force hens to renest.
Crooky386

Thanks for the replies. They have built a new nest but must of been still feeding the young in the current nest, first baby bfpf on the perch today. Very excited
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Great to hear that the penny has dropped, and they realise they have to keep feeding. :thumbup:
LML
LML
Harry

That is brilliant.
Thank you.
This is what is happening with my young pair.
In NZ it seems breeding BFPF has become increasingly difficult. Lot of clear eggs and very poor breeding results, so I was proud to have three from the first attempt. They died after about two weeks because of being abandonned,
I am now trying to hand rear the one surviving chick from the second clutch.
Don't think feed is a problem, but I will certainly look at removing the cockbird on the next clutch.

Return to “Blue Faced Parrotfinches”