King Quail Free Range ?

Greg41

If I was to clip their wings would they stay in a fenced in area? I appreciate the danger from cats crows etc
but would like to see them scratching around in the garden/vegie patch. Hopefully there would be enough room and cover to protect the young
from the adult birds. Any one tried this before?

Cheers Greg.
GDG
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Greg/Pauline wrote:If I was to clip their wings would they stay in a fenced in area? I appreciate the danger from cats crows etc
but would like to see them scratching around in the garden/vegie patch. Hopefully there would be enough room and cover to protect the young
from the adult birds. Any one tried this before?

Cheers Greg.
Don't know about aviary bred,,but there are quails around here somewhere as can hear them calling occassionly....back block has a lot of overgrown grasses on it, as well as neighbours block which is for sale...and no not mine as I dont have any.. :thumbup:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Craig52

I really don't think that would work,once the cats,dogs,birds of prey found them they wouldn't last very long.Quail are nomadic and move around and call at night,especially on moonlight nights so owls etc would soon take them imo. Craig
matcho

Put it this way Greg,

King Quail are not really a commercial animal/bird, the larger quail that are used commercially I am pretty sure are farm bred, no free range because they are so skittish and the time to cut wings etc and get them inside every night far outweighs the profit margin. Chooks on the otherhand have been bred to be free range and their flight abilities aren't really the greatest compared to quail. I agree, it would be lovely to see the little buggers wandering around the yard, bumblebee chicks and all. Had it years ago as a kid, chicks through the wire, our house cat, Mickey , I swear would know hatching dates and sit outside the aviary drooling.

Saw brown quail down around Scarborough Park in the south of Sydney near home many years ago. Only for a couple of months, no doubts the local moggies cleaned them up.

I reckon cutting the flight feathers may stop long flight but they have so much spring I reckon you would need a 20 high foot boundary. I doubt whether they are like a budgie when it comes to cutting flight feathers.

Ken
matcho

Greg,

If that is your reason why not cover the vegie patch and have them as your mini chooks?

Simple.

Ken.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Mother had a small hole in the bottom corner of an avairy a while back, and a bunch of younguns used to get out and forage then go back to mum and dad. Worked great till Mums cat cottoned on. Then happy pussy. :kitty:
LML
LML
Greg41

Thanks for your replies, I will keep them in their in their aviaries, just a thought that passed me by. :think:

Cheers Greg.
GDG

Return to “Poultry & Game Birds”