Bourkes

Lachlan1

Hi Team,

A few months ago I purchased my 14 y.o sister a pair of bourkes. Initially I thought they were rosa bourkes but apparently they are a "Newer" mutation. I know the breeder well and trust him so trust his word, I will post a pick in the next few days for everyone to see but as I know nothing about parrots and am I finch man only... The reason I bought them for her was to try and get her more involved in the hobby which seams to be working well :thumbup:

I believe they have recently come of breeding age and are in breeding condition but would love any suggestions in terms of breeding boxes, diets etc. The guy I bought them off successfully breeds them in cabinets but I put hers in a small 2 x 1m flight with some young colouring up crimson finches.

All information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks as always guys,

Lachlan
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Looking forward to the pic/s. Can you describe them? A small log or nest box about 15cm x 15cm x 40cm internal would be about right from memory. They like seeding greens like finches do, but need white millet and cracked sunflower seed from memory.
LML
LML
VR1Ton

Treat them exactly the same as your finches, just get some small parrot/peachface mix & cut it 50/50 with your finch mix, most petshops will carry a neophema box, or get one from the next sale you go to.
timh

Hi Lachlan,

What size cabinets did this breeder use?

Was he local? (I'm in Castle Hill as well :thumbup: )

Would love to see pics of your birds?!?

Cheers,

Tim
Lachlan1

timh wrote:Hi Lachlan,

What size cabinets did this breeder use?

Was he local? (I'm in Castle Hill as well :thumbup: )

Would love to see pics of your birds?!?

Cheers,

Tim
Hi Tim,

He was using those back flight cages you can purchase at pretty much any pet store (the bigger ones). He made nesting boxes that slotted into place outside the cages and the entrance for the birds would be where one of the sliding doors was removed. He had alot.... so it's obviously working well for him. Yeah he's just around Ryde and also breeds mainly pied ruddies, gouldians, OB's, Canaries and a few other bits and pieces. Good quality birds.

I promise I''ll get some pictures up soon but don't want to do it right now as pretty much everything is breeding.

All the best

Return to “Parrots”