WOW..

Alf63

Blue & Golds, Scarlets, Green-wings and a number of other macaw and amazon species were legally imported though quarantine during the 90's. I will add that Blue & Golds in particular were being bred on an adhoc basis in several large collections during the 70's & 80's. Scarlet Macaws were bred at Adelaide zoo in the 70's from stock they had held since the 30's.

Personally I saw and handled Hyacinth Macaws held off display at Adelaide zoo during the last AFA convention held in SA approximately 15 years ago.

No doubt that many species have "appeared" over the years but don't assume that everything has a dubious background particularly if your knowledge of avicultural history and parrots is limited
TomDeGraaff

Yes, Hyacinth macaws were at Adelaide zoo as part of the remnants of the Hallstrom collection,I believe. Sir Edwrad also had Mueshenbroek's lories amongst many other things.
Only species already here were ever allowed to even be considered for importation. No new species were ever legally bought in.
I also remember a bronze-winged pionus in Melbourne. Who knows what is out there.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The list is pleasantly long. Hope it is indeed still true, but not complete. The persons in WA that I know of who have had Macaws for over 10 years are definately not the types who would have had anything to do with illegal activity. And the "90's import window would have almost certainly been correct timing wise, so is a pretty sure bet.
LML
LML
iaos

For those of you who have been busily saving since the last ad.

http://www.petlink.com.au/Classifieds/sale/2496009.html
E Orix

People would be surprised what is tucked away.
Many large collections generally have an aviary or area which is not shown or broadcast to the every day type visitor.
It's a shame it happens but many people just don't know when to keep quiet and the fear is the wrong types hear about it
and the birds suddenly have new owners.

Return to “Parrots”