New chickens

Redwing

I really need some advice about my new chickens. I have had 2 new young hens for 2 months, kept separate from my 2 existing hens. They are now 5 months old and felt it was time to put them all together. The process has been going on for 2 weeks and still not happening well. Started by moving the older hens out for a couple of days so the pullets nhad the run to themselves. Then put 1 older hen back in one night and the next one a night later. There has been no major aggression but the 2 young ones spend all day either up on their sleeping platform or in the nest boxes which are on the same level. Thought that was reasonable for the first week and had food and water there for them. However now unless I push them off a couple of times a day and stand guard for them they won't come down. I take them from the nest boxes each night and put them on the sleeping platform with the other 2. I have a visual barrier halfway along the outside run so they are not in full view from the other 2 who tend to spend a big part of the day at the far end away from the house part. The older hens only have to look at them and they want to run back to the shelter. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
arthur

Hang a small axe in the run for a couple of days :silent:
Craig52

arthur wrote:Hang a small axe in the run for a couple of days :silent:
You crack me up Arthur.

Chickens have a very dominant pecking order so if you add more to the flock there is always going to be trouble with your original birds against the newcomers.

My Dad used to get rid of all the original chooks ( axe ) and buy a small flock of chickens and go from there. Craig
Redwing

I 've thought about the axe Arthur but don't think they'd know how to use it.
Hoping I don't have to replace them all Craig as they're really good layers. Already gave 1 away before I got the two new ones so I wasn't trying to introduce a single young one. Wonder if I did give the two older ones away if the two young ones would then turn into the pen mafias.

Return to “Poultry & Game Birds”